Scenario 2: Dark Business

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario 2: Dark Business

Post by Konrad2 »

That wasn't my post. xD
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: November 10th, 2018, 5:59 pm this strikes me not as a characterization deficiency of Ardonna, but maybe lack of conveying the grittiness of the BfW Universe to some degree?
Very good point. But if that is the case then perhaps it would be worthwhile to make that clear.

I have played all the mainline campaigns plenty of times and while they definitely do convey that this is a violent and struggling world there have always been good people throughout. Even after you kill the enemy many scenarios spare the enemy leaders at the end. Moreover many enemies join your side after scenarios and overall there is a sense that while there are bad people there are also good people so you shouldn't judge too fast. Everyone is just trying to survive and you can't blame them for that unless the dialogue and story tells otherwise. For example the cruelty of the Orcs is often very clear, Ashevier, etc.

That is why in my comments I recommended some dialogue which makes it clear that Ardonna is fighting people who ruthlessly want her dead in a world where it is either them or you. If that is not the case then I still have mixed feelings about this haha ;)
SigurdFireDragon wrote: November 10th, 2018, 5:59 pm I'm following these feedback threads
Great thank you for letting me know! And as I said I respect all the work you have done!
beetlenaut wrote: November 10th, 2018, 6:54 pm We could just flip the dialog. Start from Ardonna's point of view in the graveyard, and then she could notice someone else talking by the gate
Great idea. I don't want to be nitpicking but I think that would be a good change.
SanDonk

Post by SanDonk »

I actually like those remarks by The Gnat, especially his idea for the dialogue. I had the same problem with Ardonna, as I stated in my feedback before.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?

- It does seem good that Ardonna is trying to search the means of immortality, but why does she out of sudden start killing people like it's nothing? Even Malin Keshar in DiD had to think whether to kill humans for good or not

(4) What were the major challenges you faced?

- Again, having Ardonna unprotected, but it was easier now since she's dark sorceress in this scenario

(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?

- There should be a short segment in which Ardonna thinks whether she should kill these humans or not
Offriender

Post by Offriender »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.14

This is the first time we see dialog aside from the protagonist writing or monologuing. The conversation in the intro seemed really flippant. There are so many guards there because game, but instead of justifying it, they just talk about how weird it is. Ok? The whole tone just seemed different from other mainline wesnoth campaigns.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed impossible to summon except for a single bat from scenario 1. Maybe I could have raised corpses from graves? The game didn't say so, and I didn't see any way to recruit or recall except for the bat that flew out of the healing place. Trying to fight everyone with so few forces was really hard and took a lot of reloads.

If there's a way to summon, the game should say so, and it there's not, it should be easier to feed kills to the walking dead to build up a force (by having weaker enemy units).
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Offriender wrote: July 18th, 2019, 4:56 am instead of justifying it, they just talk about how weird it is.
Fair point. I'm working on changing the dialog. I just don't have enough free time at the moment.
Offriender wrote: July 18th, 2019, 4:56 am Maybe I could have raised corpses from graves?
You must have missed the note in the objectives that says exactly that. You can right-click on a grave to raise a corpse. Amazing that you managed to win without doing that.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Diabolic (Difficult) and Version 1.14.16

Really good.

Nothing major. Lost a Souless but no big deal.

An innovative scenario.

I can't think of anything