Scenario 6: Following the Shadow

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Scenario 6: Following the Shadow

Postby Content Feedback » May 13th, 2017, 10:36 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Re: Scenario 6: Following the Shadow

Postby jeremybauerle » June 24th, 2017, 7:35 pm

(1) Difficulty level & Version?
    Corrupt (Challenging) 1.13.8

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
    I like the pre-map text about why the ship's captain has the leadership trait even while undead.
    A sentence in the pre-map text has an incorrect comma: "We travel only by day because at night, the spirit is practically invisible." Remove the comma after 'night'.
    This map was a nice change of pace. A lot of the previous maps were constrained, but this one is wide open.
    I also like that objective basically ignores the enemy: get into the mysterious cave, then explore the cave.

(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
    The torch-wielding enemies are vicious. They burn the undead, and their nets protect against my archers.
    Also, I thought I could easily send my bats out to claim villages, but the wolf riders are almost just as mobile, and much stronger. They tore my bats apart.
    The bats in the cave can easily end your game if you didn't bring enough guys into the cave. It's a fun surprise, but potentially very deadly.

(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
    6. It's a solid scenario.

(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
    Near the end, the enemy leader is recruiting a single Level 1 wolf rider every other turn. It might be more interesting if he realizes he's beat, and then retreats. (He could even show up in a later scenario.)
    Ardonna warns that there might be bats in the cave. It might be more fun if in addition, when the cave crevasse is revealed, a single bat flies out and starts harassing whatever unit is closest, enemy or ally. (The bat's level could be based on the player's difficulty.)
Last edited by Ravana on June 24th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed color.
jeremybauerle

Postby beetlenaut » June 24th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Content Feedback wrote:It might be more fun if in addition, when the cave crevasse is revealed, a single bat flies out and starts harassing whatever unit is closest, enemy or ally.
This is actually quite a good suggestion. It would make the warning more obvious and the surprise less deadly. Ardonna could say something like, "If there is one bat, there are certainly more. We should be careful." I'm too busy these days, but Sigurd might be willing to do it.
Campaigns: Dead Water
The Founding of Borstep
Secrets of the Ancients
beetlenaut
Developer

Postby SigurdFireDragon » June 28th, 2017, 3:58 am

beetlenaut wrote:
Content Feedback wrote:It might be more fun if in addition, when the cave crevasse is revealed, a single bat flies out and starts harassing whatever unit is closest, enemy or ally.
This is actually quite a good suggestion. It would make the warning more obvious and the surprise less deadly. Ardonna could say something like, "If there is one bat, there are certainly more. We should be careful." I'm too busy these days, but Sigurd might be willing to do it.

I think I may give this a shot, though I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

EDIT 2017-07-24: Added for 1.13.9
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Return to Secrets of the Ancients