Puzzle challenges!

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby GunChleoc » August 22nd, 2017, 6:56 am

And Caladbolg wins, although I do like the Wesnothy pike answer :)
User avatar
GunChleoc
Translator
 
Posts: 386
Joined: September 28th, 2012, 7:35 am

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 22nd, 2017, 11:20 am

The spy:

A spy wants to enter the great bastion of Elensefar. However, because it is well-walled and well defended, there is only one way to get in: telling the guards the password.
The spy hid behind a large rock, and saw a knight on a horse. He was dressed with a fancy steel armor and a layer of leather adorned his back.
- (Guard) Stop! Who is going?
- (Knight) Hail! My name is Sir Galahad, of the lands of the east.
- (Guard) Sir Galahad! For six days we were expecting his arrival!
- (Knight) And I hope to resolve quickly the matters that bring me. My three children and my wife are waiting for me at home.
- (Guard) I wish you luck in your work. Pass!
And after a great rumble, the doors opened, letting the knight pass by.

After a short wait, a beggar approached the doors of the bastion.
- (Guard) Stop! Who is going?
- (Beggar) I am a poor man who comes to shelter this city ...
- (Guard) We'll let you pass if you say how many of the twelve arrows that were in this quiver remain in it!
The beggar thought for a while ...
- (Beggar) There are five corpses on the ground and a trail of blood, so ... There are six arrows left!
- (Guard) Wow, that's right! Pass!
And after a great rumble, the doors opened, letting the beggar pass by.

The spy was meditating for a long time, and at last approached the gates.
- (Guard) Stop! Who is going?
- (Spy) I am a merchant looking for goods to be able to sell.
- (Guard) In what we have of day already have entered eight merchants in the city. We should have good products!
- (Spy) Of course! Of the four cities I've been trading in, this one is the best!
At that moment, an arrow shot out of a guard's bow and pierced the spy's heart, killing him instantly.

Why did this happened?

Note: If you already know this riddle, do not even say the answer, let the others think.

Solution and winner:
Last edited by Ephraim on September 3rd, 2017, 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Zap-Zarap » August 22nd, 2017, 12:26 pm

If the spy'd have answered: "This one is the best of the four cities, i've been trading in.", then he would still be alive, right?
I like beavers.
User avatar
Zap-Zarap
 
Posts: 102
Joined: March 16th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 22nd, 2017, 3:35 pm

Zap-Zarap wrote:If the spy'd have answered: "This one is the best of the four cities, i've been trading in.", then he would still be alive, right?


If the guard killed him (and yes, the guard killed him) that means the spy said something wrong.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Caladbolg » August 22nd, 2017, 7:18 pm

Here's my reasoning:
People can only enter when they give the correct password. Therefore, their last lines should contain the password. If we look at the last lines of people A and B, the only thing that they have in common is that they mention some numbers. Now, all of the dialogues are a bit strange and we notice that before any person gives the password, the guard's line also mentions some number. So, let's look at the numbers mentioned:

Conversation A: Guard- 6 days; Knight- 3 children and a wife
Conversation B: Guard- 12 arrows; Beggar- 5 corpses and a trail, 6 arrows
Conversation C: Guard- 8 merchants; Spy- 4 cities

It seems to me that the guard asks a question containing a number X and the person needs to respond by mentioning a number that is X/2. What I don't get is why the Spy didn't get through, as he answered correctly (8/2=4).

My guess would be that it is because the other answers also refer to things that are not included in the correct number: person A says 3 children (correct number) but also mentions a wife; person B says 6 arrows (correct number) but also mentions corpses; person C fails because he gave the correct number (4), but doesn't mention anything else (instead he says "This one is the best", refering to one of the cities that are included in those 4).

I think I get it: the last number a person says needs to be half of what the guard says. Person A says 3 children, B says 6 arrows, but the spy says "Of the four cities I've been trading in, this one is the best!" So the last number he said was not 4 but 1 and he got killed :D
Caladbolg
 
Posts: 78
Joined: January 1st, 2016, 4:40 pm
Location: Hopelessly trapped within the Submachine

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 22nd, 2017, 7:33 pm

Caladbolg wrote:Here's my reasoning:
People can only enter when they give the correct password. Therefore, their last lines should contain the password. If we look at the last lines of people A and B, the only thing that they have in common is that they mention some numbers. Now, all of the dialogues are a bit strange and we notice that before any person gives the password, the guard's line also mentions some number. So, let's look at the numbers mentioned:

Conversation A: Guard- 6 days; Knight- 3 children and a wife
Conversation B: Guard- 12 arrows; Beggar- 5 corpses and a trail, 6 arrows
Conversation C: Guard- 8 merchants; Spy- 4 cities

It seems to me that the guard asks a question containing a number X and the person needs to respond by mentioning a number that is X/2. What I don't get is why the Spy didn't get through, as he answered correctly (8/2=4).

My guess would be that it is because the other answers also refer to things that are not included in the correct number: person A says 3 children (correct number) but also mentions a wife; person B says 6 arrows (correct number) but also mentions corpses; person C fails because he gave the correct number (4), but doesn't mention anything else (instead he says "This one is the best", refering to one of the cities that are included in those 4).

I think I get it: the last number a person says needs to be half of what the guard says. Person A says 3 children, B says 6 arrows, but the spy says "Of the four cities I've been trading in, this one is the best!" So the last number he said was not 4 but 1 and he got killed :D


Wow! That's pretty good... Incorrect.
Grammatically speaking, "one" is not a cardinal number on this occasion, but an auxiliary for "this" (Note: Maybe I'm wrong in this, but anyway, it isn't the correct answer).

But you are so near from the answer!
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby GunChleoc » August 23rd, 2017, 7:09 am

Is it because he didn't include "and" in his answer?
User avatar
GunChleoc
Translator
 
Posts: 386
Joined: September 28th, 2012, 7:35 am

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 23rd, 2017, 7:27 am

GunChleoc wrote:Is it because he didn't include "and" in his answer?

Nope :P
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Eagle_11 » August 25th, 2017, 11:26 am

The spy must have said something 2 + 2 resulting in 4 instead directly 4. ?
User avatar
Eagle_11
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 573
Joined: November 20th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 25th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Eagle_11 wrote:The spy must have said something 2 + 2 resulting in 4 instead directly 4. ?


No. It isn't the correct answer.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Zap-Zarap » August 25th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Ephraim wrote:
Caladbolg wrote:
I think I get it: the last number a person says needs to be half of what the guard says. Person A says 3 children, B says 6 arrows, but the spy says "Of the four cities I've been trading in, this one is the best!" So the last number he said was not 4 but 1 and he got killed :D



That was exactly, what i was referring to in my post above, sadly it is wrong.
I like beavers.
User avatar
Zap-Zarap
 
Posts: 102
Joined: March 16th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Zap-Zarap » August 26th, 2017, 11:13 pm

The secret password is "are", spy said "is".
I like beavers.
User avatar
Zap-Zarap
 
Posts: 102
Joined: March 16th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby Ephraim » August 27th, 2017, 7:54 am

Zap-Zarap wrote:The secret password is "are", spy said "is".


No.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
User avatar
Ephraim
 
Posts: 31
Joined: July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Location: The Great Library of WML, Studiying it

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby WTrawi » August 29th, 2017, 10:14 am

I came up with the same answer as Caladbolg did... so sad that it's incorrect, it would be a genius answer :D
Last edited by WTrawi on September 2nd, 2017, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active developer of: Secret of Eternal Life
Check out my art here: Daily Paintings of WTrawi

Btw I use SilverMage-HUN as nickname on the official gaming server.
User avatar
WTrawi
 
Posts: 127
Joined: July 11th, 2016, 6:04 pm
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Postby WTrawi » September 1st, 2017, 1:10 pm

It seems no one can solve this puzzle :D (I know it's against the rules, but I know a really-really good one if someone wants a new riddle)
Mostly active developer of: Secret of Eternal Life
Check out my art here: Daily Paintings of WTrawi

Btw I use SilverMage-HUN as nickname on the official gaming server.
User avatar
WTrawi
 
Posts: 127
Joined: July 11th, 2016, 6:04 pm
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest