Puzzle challenges!

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Puzzle challenges!

Post by Inky »

Hmm I don't know whether everyone's heard that question already or whether it's too hard, but just in case: (and to clarify, I was only asking the main question, the harder one was just something to think about)
hint for main question:
hint for bonus question:
I can post the answers too if nobody gets it for a while :P
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I already knew the answer to the first riddle, because I've seen it before
Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

That's right!
I added the answers to the original post, including the answer to the extra question, so now anyone can post a new one :)
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't have a puzzle right now, so if somebody else wants to post one, go ahead :)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Wow, that bonus was complicated, I don't think I ever would have figured it out. I had guessed what question two would have to be, I just had no idea how make question one. :)

I don't have any more good puzzles to post either, but anyone here who hasn't heard of syllogisms might enjoy this link.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

I can give you guys one.

An old hermit lives in a cave where he keeps a large treasure. He enjoys the occasional visitor, but he's growing old now and wishes to pass his treasure on to someone less it be lost forever. However he won't give it to just anyone, you must solve his test first.

He presents you with a board made of nine squares fashioned into a three by three grid. In the exact middle of each square is a smaller square indention, again aligned with each other and the larger squares. Next he brings out 6 miniature knights. They have square pegs that are rounded on the end on the bottom and each are identical, all holding out their swords at a 90 degree angle in front of them. He places three in row farthest from you so that they all point away from you, and three in the row closest to you so they they all face you.

Code: Select all

AAA
###
VVV
The goal is simple, without altering the shape the board or the knights, make each knight face a different direction. Do that simple task and the treasure is yours.

---

Also a bonus mathier one since you guys like riddles you can solve with maths:

You have a pond with 5 fish swimming in it. Each of these fish lay a brood of 100 eggs every 31 days and it takes the eggs 30 days to hatch. At the end of 90 days how many fish will be in the pond assuming they all survive?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Fish

Code: Select all

# 51005

def force():
	### brute force
	fish = [0,0,0,0,0]

for i in range(90):
		for f in range(len(fish)):
			if(fish[f] % 31 == 0):
				for j in range(100):
					fish.append(-30)
			fish[f] = fish[f] + 1

print(fish)

r = 0
	for f in fish:
		if f >= 0:
			r+=1
	print(r)

def smart():
	### smarter
	from collections import defaultdict
	ages = defaultdict(int)
	ages[0] = 5

for i in range(90): # days
		for j in range(90): # ages
			if j % 31 == 0:
				ages[-31] += 100*ages[j]

for j in range(89, -32, -1):
			ages[j+1] = ages[j]
			ages[j] = 0

print(ages)

r = 0
	for k,v in ages.items():
		if k>=0:
			r+=v
	print(r)

smart()
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow Ravana! I'm really amazed by your ability to write algorithms for all these problems! 8)

For the fish question, it seems a bit ambiguous- I guess we're assuming that
- the 5 fish all begin laying their eggs on day 1, and
- fish begin to lay eggs immediately after hatching (man, they sure grow up fast!! :lol: )

If so I get the same answer as Ravana, here's a direct calculation for people like me who don't know how to code :whistle:
Spoiler:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't really understand what the task with the board is so I'd say
Spoiler:
The syllogisms were fun.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Fish answers: Nope!

The final solution to the board question requires each knight to point a different direction. They each need their own unique direction to face in.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Deciton_Reven wrote:You have a pond with 5 fish swimming in it. Each of these fish lay a brood of 100 eggs every 31 days and it takes the eggs 30 days to hatch. At the end of 90 days how many fish will be in the pond assuming they all survive?
Hmmm could you clarify the problem? It seems pretty open to interpretation.

Like do the hatched fish also lay eggs, and if so how soon after hatching. And does "taking 30 days to hatch" mean eggs laid on day 1 will hatch on day 31?
It's not some think outside the box thing like that many fish not being able to fit in a pond right? :P
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Knights:
Spoiler:
Fish: I'd say the same as Inky, 51005 fishes. Last generation's eggs won't have hatched on turn day 90 yet.
I like beavers.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Fish: The fish would lay eggs the day the hatch for simplification of the puzzle, and day 31, etc is when they would hatch. However you may indeed want to think outside the box, it is a riddle after all.

Knights: Zap-Zarap got it. There are plenty of ways to do the same thing, and it doesn't have to be those exact directions either. You could probably even give the player 1 move to do it and they could just turn the board upside down and get 6 directions once the knights fall out (unless the cosmos was just really upset that day).
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Fish: 5 fishes :)
Spoiler:
I like beavers.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Fish answer below, click only if you're Zap-Zarap or don't care to figure it out:
Spoiler: