How to decompress (on windows)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

De Cock Hans

How to decompress (on windows)

Post by De Cock Hans »

I am trying to make a version of Elf War for 1.1+, but I can not decompress the .cfg files.

Can somebody tell how to do it on a Windows ME system.

I have tried already the decompress instruction I found in some other posts but it won't work. (decompress file1 file2 in wesnoth dir and in all other subdir's )
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

When you install a campaign, it is in wesnoth\userdata\data\campaigns and then there's the main cfg and folder with the other stuff of that campaign. Where the "wesnoth" folder is on your computer depends on where you installed it.
jonadab

Re: How to decompress (on windows)

Post by jonadab »

De [censored] Hans wrote:I can not decompress the .cfg files.
What does it mean to decompress a .cfg file, and why do you need to do it? Normally .cfg files are just plain text, so I'm not sure what it would even mean to "decompress" them.
scott

Post by scott »

Perhaps he downloaded an archive from campaigns.wesnoth.org and can't unzip the .tgz file. If this is the case, the webpage tells you what program to use. 7-zip I think.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
De Cock Hans

Post by De Cock Hans »

The problem is this. The .cfg file's seem to be 1 long line. Page breaks are replaced by black blocks. It's a strange thing because I just tried to copy & paste of it here but then it gets it"s correct shape back.

Edit: Just found a way around. I copy & paste to Word and then save as .txt and then rename them back to .cfg . It's a bad way but ...

If somebody knows better solution to open them directly in notepad ...
Gwain

Post by Gwain »

don't use notepad, open them in wordpad and all will be fine.
i'm too Lazy to write a decent signature :*
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Use wordpad instead, notepad can't deal with unix/mac line endings.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

De [censored] Hans wrote:The problem is this. The .cfg file's seem to be 1 long line...
If somebody knows better solution to open them directly in notepad ...
Does Notepad *still* not support alternative line-ending styles, after all these decades? Sheesh, it must be the only text editor left that doesn't at least support both C-style (LF only) and network style (full ASCII CRLF pairs). Any decent text editor supports those plus CR-only as well, at minimum.

However, while the Wordpad that others have suggested *can* read these files, it's really a (very simple) word processor, and a better solution would be to get a proper text editor. For Windows, you might try PFE (Programmer's File Editor). It's not very advanced, and it's no longer actively maintained, but it is simple and straightforward and works as a drop-in replacement for Notepad with no learning curve whatsoever, correctly handles things like (reasonably) large files, Unix line endings, and so forth. There are, of course, many other options available. I use Emacs, but using that requires some up-front investment of learning time, so unless you do quite a bit of text editing it may not be worth it.

On a side note, shouldn't the text files in the Windows release use full ASCII CRLF pairs? IIRC, Microsoft systems have always preferred that line-ending convention.