Slack Space

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Infinisearch

Slack Space

Post by Infinisearch »

I noticed that after a fresh install of wesnoth, that the 73MB that is supposed to be taken up is actually 144MB. I was wondering if the developers planned on moving assets into compressed files along the lines of pk3 files for quake3 or something?
appleide

Post by appleide »

Then... You couldnt look into the text files and learn WML... Or are you talking about compressing other stuff?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The media formats wesnoth uses mostly already support compression, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help much.

Btw my wesnoth installations use from 75MB to 92MB (75MB being the newest version). How much space a build uses also depends for example on the way it was built, which filesystem you install it on...
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Infinisearch

Post by Infinisearch »

appleide - if you are familiar with quake3 they use something called pk3 files which are essentially zip files, in fact i think you can open them with winzip or winrar.

Soliton - the partition my wesnoth install is on is using 16kb clusters, so I know not all people are affected but it would be nice for those of us who are stuck with large cluster sizes.

Some stats for my 16kb partition wesnoth 1.1.1 install with heiress to the throne and Taki + Imperial Era installed.

png files - 26,127,337 bytes - 78,462,976 bytes used

slack = 52335639 bytes

cfg files - 2,172,502 bytes - 10,895,360 used

slack = 8722858 bytes

total slack space for cfg and png files 61058497 bytes.
approx 58MB of slack just in pngs and cfgs.

Anyhow not really the right place for this but congratulations on the 1.1.1 release and it is really looking beautiful.
scott

Post by scott »

So you're saying that the game's png files, which total ~21 MB and are already compressed in png format, take up more than triple that amount because they're separate files and your file system gives it twice as much space as a result? What is the benefit of a 16 kb block size partition anyway? Using 75 MB for 21 MB of files doesn't sound like a selling point to me.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Infinisearch wrote: Soliton - the partition my wesnoth install is on is using 16kb clusters, so I know not all people are affected but it would be nice for those of us who are stuck with large cluster sizes.
Build wesnoth with libzipios++ and the game will be able to handle zip files. There are issues with it like slow startup however.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

scott wrote:So you're saying that the game's png files, which total ~21 MB and are already compressed in png format, take up more than triple that amount because they're separate files and your file system gives it twice as much space as a result?
Yes, many file systems do this. There are speed advantages in the file system for laying it out in this way.

If you're using a file system like that, clearly you (or the system designers) want to prioritize speed over space. We wouldn't try to thwart them by trying to put things in a format that does the opposite.

Disk space is cheap anyhow. It is not a design goal of Wesnoth to minimize the amount of disk space an installation consumes.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Infinisearch

Post by Infinisearch »

- Scott -
" What is the benefit of a 16 kb block size partition anyway? Using 75 MB for 21 MB of files doesn't sound like a selling point to me."

Depending on your OS you might not have a choice in choosing a cluster size, it is dependent on the Filesystem implementation.

-Soliton-
I usually download the prebuilt binaries, but if i were to compile with libzipios++, wouldn't I still manually have to set the cfg files to look in the zip files instead of a plain old directory or is that somehow taken care of automatically? If manually how does one specify a zip file in the path in the cfg files?

-Dave-
"If you're using a file system like that, clearly you (or the system designers) want to prioritize speed over space. We wouldn't try to thwart them by trying to put things in a format that does the opposite."

I really don't understand what you mean by this, could you clarify what you mean exactly?

"Disk space is cheap anyhow. It is not a design goal of Wesnoth to minimize the amount of disk space an installation consumes."

Fair enough, is this true in the overall or will it become a consideration once a final release (all art complete,tweaking...) comes into being?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Infinisearch wrote:Depending on your OS you might not have a choice in choosing a cluster size, it is dependent on the Filesystem implementation.
Interesting, what ancient OS would that be?
Infinisearch wrote:I usually download the prebuilt binaries, but if i were to compile with libzipios++, wouldn't I still manually have to set the cfg files to look in the zip files instead of a plain old directory or is that somehow taken care of automatically?
Automatically if you do a "zip-install".
Infinisearch wrote:Fair enough, is this true in the overall or will it become a consideration once a final release (all art complete,tweaking...) comes into being?
There is a stable version out you know.