Thread of the N3T clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by Noy » June 9th, 2010, 4:05 am

... seriously, some threads should just be left to die.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

User avatar
sur.nhm
Posts: 630
Joined: September 4th, 2008, 12:10 pm
Location: in /dev/null...

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by sur.nhm » June 9th, 2010, 7:45 am

I hate 1v1v1 - they allways end with someone being ganged up upon. Can I join?
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.

User avatar
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2424
Joined: December 15th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Location: Somewhere in the middle of everything

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by artisticdude » June 10th, 2010, 1:43 am

Noy wrote:... seriously, some threads should just be left to die.
Oh, so that's the way it is, is it? :( Okay, nevermind then. Sorry for causing trouble.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

User avatar
norbert
Posts: 368
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by norbert » June 10th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Some thoughts on this "no three teams" thing. First, it made me think of the third most played MP scenario, 3p - Survival, which has three teams. Then about Golbeeze's P3 Triumph, where the teams actually start out fighting each other, rushing to a leader is impossible, and the income of villages in the center - a small area - plays an important role. Also came to mind Bush's statement "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." :P

Anyways, playing Wesnoth is done in leisure time and it's about having a good time. For most players, improving skills is not a goal by itself but a means to have more fun. If membership imposes artificial restrictions on its members that disallow them from partaking in matches with three teams, it better compensate this with something really rewarding, especially since it's already possible to avoid scenarios with three teams. Belonging to a group and possibly getting a funky title won't cut it for me.

What if I claim that playing P3 Triumph, especially with a 30% experience modifier, is not only fun but favors the teams that are moving in for the kill. Anyone giving this a try while being a member could be considered a traitor. Also, the skills players need depend entirely on the scenario (and its map). As the description of Conquest says: "Your ability to forge temporary alliances is as important as your ability to raise an army and fight." Sometimes diplomacy and concealing your strength are simply part of the game.

I agree that scenarios with three teams can be really annoying. However, it usually depends on the players and the map type. As "it depends", I personally don't want to join your clan. I do try to avoid those three team matches, but it's nice that I can make exceptions to that 'rule'. Heh, this thread also reminded me of the Nethack clan EIT. They don't take themselves too seriously, which is a good thing. As long as you're having fun and all. You can put me on your neutral list.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by Elvish_Pillager » June 10th, 2010, 4:20 pm

norbert wrote:Some thoughts on this "no three teams" thing. First, it made me think of the third most played MP scenario, 3p - Survival, which has three teams.
No. That map has two teams. If you're going to complain about someone's philosophy, you should at least get your facts right.

That map is a good one to illustrate the differences between three related concepts:
- It has four sides - three human-controlled and one AI.
- It has three players - one for each human-controlled side.
- It has two teams - all the humans together, and the AI.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
norbert
Posts: 368
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by norbert » June 10th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Elvish Pillager wrote:No. That map has two teams. If you're going to complain about someone's philosophy, you should at least get your facts right.
Thanks for your kind feedback, and you're right that I should've used the word players when talking about that scenario. I also talked about P3 Triumph and other things in my post and it was not intended to be an attack of any kind.

Caphriel
Posts: 994
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 4:10 pm

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by Caphriel » June 10th, 2010, 6:39 pm

norbert wrote:Anyways, playing Wesnoth is done in leisure time and it's about having a good time. For most players, improving skills is not a goal by itself but a means to have more fun. If membership imposes artificial restrictions on its members that disallow them from partaking in matches with three teams, it better compensate this with something really rewarding, especially since it's already possible to avoid scenarios with three teams. Belonging to a group and possibly getting a funky title won't cut it for me.
In general, we joined because we find games with three human-controlled sides to be not-fun.

In regard to that Triumph map, I find the idea of playing on a map with 3 villages per player, set to 30% experience, to be very un-Wesnoth-like. It's an entirely different game with some cosmetic resemblance to normal multiplayer Wesnoth.

I'm not really sure what your point was in your previous post, though, other than that you don't want to join; but in that case, why post?

User avatar
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer
Posts: 622
Joined: November 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Location: Mid-Western United States

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by F8 Binds... » June 12th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Upon your confessions of loyalty, I anoint the following N3T!

elvish sovereign
artisticdude
sur.nhm

As for the debate above: Yes, I think I speak for the majority of N3T members when I say that the winner in any 1v1v1, 2v2v2, etc. usually ends up being the person not involved in any major initial conflict.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.

styles1005
Posts: 179
Joined: December 21st, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by styles1005 » July 9th, 2010, 4:41 pm

This is an . . . interesting concept. I agree with the principles, but I don't really *hate* 3-team games. Well actually I do, because I have played Island of the Horatii against the AI and gotten pwned. However, I actually lose fairly often against the AI (not against humans though, oddly,) so I'll have to play some 3-team games against humans before I decide whether or not to join.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!

User avatar
Sapient
Inactive Developer
Posts: 4453
Joined: November 26th, 2005, 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Thread of the N3T clan

Post by Sapient » July 9th, 2010, 7:21 pm

styles1005 wrote:This is an . . . interesting concept. I agree with the principles, but I don't really *hate* 3-team games. Well actually I do, because I have played Island of the Horatii against the AI and gotten pwned.
That doesn't really count because the AI is not intelligent enough to understand the concepts involved, such as diplomacy and game theory. However, if we make the AI too intelligent, it might refuse to play 3-teamed games altogether.
styles1005 wrote:However, I actually lose fairly often against the AI (not against humans though, oddly,) so I'll have to play some 3-team games against humans before I decide whether or not to join.
I don't recommend new players to join this clan. This clan is for those who have played MP and already rejected the 3-team format. In fact, people who don't know what they like and dislike about it will only dilute our message.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."

Post Reply