Can't find where to DL 1.1.1

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Portnoy

Can't find where to DL 1.1.1

Post by Portnoy »

When I click the link given it just sets me up to DL 1.1.0 not 1.1.1!!!!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Currently, only the source form is available, the binaries packages are not done yet...
Portnoy

So Why then...

Post by Portnoy »

So why then did they shut the MP server down to everyone not using 1.1.1?!?!?!? I was in the middle of a MP game, and got booted. It said to get 1.1.1, but I can't. That makes NO sense.

Normally, you don't disable a game feature due to an update until the update works and is available. This is just common sense.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

It's development not stable version. 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 are not compatibile and servers are restarted to let people with 1.1.1 play, there are guys that can compile, let them play newest version..
Portnoy

Strange then...

Post by Portnoy »

Strange then that I can't connect to the MP server on 1.0.2 either. And also, besides showing your snobbery, you failed to address any of my complaints.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: So Why then...

Post by Soliton »

Portnoy wrote:So why then did they shut the MP server down to everyone not using 1.1.1?!?!?!? I was in the middle of a MP game, and got booted. It said to get 1.1.1, but I can't. That makes NO sense.

Normally, you don't disable a game feature due to an update until the update works and is available. This is just common sense.
You've got several options:
  • * compile the new version yourself
    * start your own wesnoth server that accepts the versions you want
    * look for servers provided by others that maybe accept the version you want to play (http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/MultiplayerServers)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Tomsik

Re: Strange then...

Post by Tomsik »

Portnoy wrote:And also, besides showing your snobbery, you failed to address any of my complaints.
My snobbery? Eh?

1.1.1 generally is avaible, just there are no binaries.
And restarting makes sence, it have to be restarted sometime and what's better moment than releasing new version?

If something's wrong for you can always play stable version, there is no server-restarting.
:roll:
Portnoy

Thx Solution

Post by Portnoy »

Thanks for being the only person to respond who didn't do so with a stick up their ass. Plus, it was helpful; I didn't know there were more than 1 MP server!!
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Thx Solution

Post by freim »

Portnoy wrote:Thanks for being the only person to respond who didn't do so with a stick up their ass. Plus, it was helpful; I didn't know there were more than 1 MP server!!
Given your whiny brat attitude I would say you got very civil replies.

The devel server will always run the latest devel source code release. It's purpose is to playtest the development branch version of Wesnoth, not be a stable server.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If you want to play a stable product that we will support and be very responsive to problems in, then play the 1.0 series (currently 1.0.2).

If you want to play an unstable development version, with all the latest-and-greatest features, but which may have many instabilities, such as what you describe, then play the 1.1 series.

We have many developers who spend countless hours refining this game. It would be appreciated if you didn't antagonize these developers by lecturing them on what is "common sense".

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neikius

Post by Neikius »

Well, there is 1.1.1 compiled by me posted in tech support :D But I don't guarantee you that it works (it might even blow your computer up).
player

Post by player »

Neikius wrote:Well, there is 1.1.1 compiled by me posted in tech support :D But I don't guarantee you that it works (it might even blow your computer up).
\

it works, for macs
-jew
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

On this subject if we poke other subjects we find on this it comes out few to anyone is playing on the 1.1.1 server. Mostly because most players/testers are not programing people. I think it was slow who poked at this over in the developer's discussion section when he said he went on and found... one person there. So do cut the guy some slack, the server changeover for all effectiveness should not have occured till a compile of the source for at least something was done. After all haste makes waste and in this case a waste of hot air complaints.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
JW

Post by JW »

Tippsey wrote:the server changeover for all effectiveness should not have occured till a compile of the source for at least something was done. After all haste makes waste and in this case a waste of hot air complaints.
isaac wrote:
Slow wrote:This is especially the case when you immediately upgrade the server to require 1.1.1.
This will be handled more graciously from now on.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It will happen differently in the future. Let's not dwell on the past.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

As was said a couple of times before, this is a development version. That means among other things that there are no guarantees for stability, availability and compatibility. It might not be balanced. So definitely not a platform for "serious" gaming (whatever that is :P ).

Binaries for the various platforms are normally ready within two weeks. Sometimes even a lot faster. Add to that the fact that packagers like me have a job, a family, children, friends and a lot of other things to do. Given that i don't think it is a catastrophic event to wait one or two weeks before you can go on playing. Please keep that in mind and be a little patient :? .

Oh, and if i am not completely mistaken, i just managed to build the package for those long awaited windows binaries :wink: . A little bit testing, an upload and soon all those windows wesnoth junkies are happy again for some weeks :P .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!