Multiplayer Experience

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kshinji

Multiplayer Experience

Post by kshinji »

At which level of experience you play mostly? Why? Is it related to map size, or something else?

I mostly play 30% and 40%. 30% with 2gpv, so to rather level up than die, and 40% with 4gpv, when you rather buy, than heal. IMHO, when you have 70% in multiplayer, it is a really hard way to level up to 2nd level even 1 single troop. It is possible, but for f.e. mage, it means slaying about 6 units, and having about 10 combats. You will rather be unlucky to have it left in front line after missing his easykill, than level up. And also, so hard leveling up makes it unimportant matter. Am i not right?

From the other hand, leveled up units are a much more powerful, so i think 40% for Heroes - playing, and 50% for armies - playing is just okay. Playing at higher than70% makes it impossible to level up worth_leveling units.
JW

Post by JW »

I agree. I think it's cray they let you do 200%. :p

No reason not to have the OPTION to however.

I play a lot of small maps, so they're usually 40-70%. Big ones are usually 70%.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I play mostly small-med maps. Big maps makes too big waste of time, and i even enjoy them less. I like when game is quick, and a bit more to chess, than to Civilisation :-)
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I play usually with 60-70% xp and 1-2g/v.

With more gold, you have so big forces, that single unit becomes less pecious and people used to just sacrifice some of them easly. Also more units -> longer game.

With less expierience units just level too easly - you need only one kill and some fights then. For me it is more fun to gain xp with precious unit. It adds some strategy too, when you have one powerful lvl2 which you have to protect from dying, than horde of them.
And no, leveling with 70% xp isn't hard - it just isn't easy. 2-3 kills are enought to levelup most units (especially inteligent ones).

And I play of course default era - most balanced one.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragonking wrote:And no, leveling with 70% xp isn't hard - it just isn't easy. 2-3 kills are enought to levelup most units (especially inteligent ones).
I hate 70%, units start levelling up at just the wrong time :P

I personally stand by 80% XP, 1 gpv. Anything more liberal is, IMO, slightly ridiculous. (although, with few enough villages, 2 gpv is ok.)

Not that I don't like ridiculous games. I like 25%, 700 gold. Yes, 25%. It's impossible to get, which is one of the changes in this game that I didn't like and still don't like...
Dragonking wrote:And I play of course default era - most balanced one.
Most balanced because it's the only one that CAN be balanced. :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

70%, 2 gpv and 100 gold are best settings IMO.
With 70% it's not that hard to advance unit, only two-three kills (for most units) and you get new, shiny lvl 2! Less than 60% make 2 lvl's too easy to get, you don't must care to don't lost them then.
On most maps 2 gpv is good setting, don't let you have too much units nor replace lost units too fast, so you must think how to don't lose units.
On most maps 100 gold is completly enough, on very small maps it's good to have even less gold on start.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I personally like 50/60% and 2gpv or 3 if there are very few villages. I also like starting gold between 75-250 depending on map size, how long you want the game to last, and if you want large scale wars or just battles.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I have a big tatoo on my right arm that says: "70 EXP! 2GPV! 100G!"
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

EP wrote:I hate 70%, units start levelling up at just the wrong time
I normally go on 60% and it doesn't get better.

2-3 gpv, 100 atarting gold. No big maps of course, you want the skirmish feel.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

50%, 2gpv
Sorry for the meaningless post
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

That's true, ordinar intelligent units uses 2-3 kills to be exped in 70%, but what about mages? :-/ But maybe you are right. 2nd level mages are so powerful, that leveling shouldn't be easy.

From the other hand, there are really very few situations, when you have a clear easy-kill for mage, and you can cover your mage after he finishes his kill. Most time, you have to be very lucky, so your mage don't die in opponents next turn, before he can get back to healer or village. :-(

And i most enjoy 1-2gpv, 30% 25gold, but the game is best balanced with i think, 100-200gold, 2-3gpv(case of map size) and 50% exp.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

60% , 2gpv & 100g is my favorite combo
on very large maps gpv can be one, or if its 4+ player ffa so the game doesnt take so long
in rumbles :D the standard settings are 30% XP with 5 gpv ( the last matters only if there are villages in the map ... )
Last edited by Mythological on January 2nd, 2006, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Isn't there a possible 20% option? Maybe I should try that some time, if you can, it would be insane.
Sorry for the meaningless post
toms

Post by toms »

30% in rumbles is fun! :D
But on "normal" maps I play between 50 and 70% and 1/2 g/v.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I like 70%. It seems to result in a nice gameflow where, just as things are bogging down, up pop a handful of Lvl2 units to ratchet the action up a notch...