The Siege of Elensefar: hard at first, then I beat it

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jabberwocky

The Siege of Elensefar: hard at first, then I beat it

Post by Jabberwocky »

This thread was split from the SOE scenario review thread.

Make it a bit easier, please. I start with 222 gp but I wasn't able to finish the scenario yet, no matter which tactic I use. If I split my forces, then the orc leader manages to summon fresh reserves and the skeletons massacre my units. If I kill him first, then my forces get massacred by the orcs and I don't have the money to summon new forces to stop the undead. If I send some units to sway the skeletons from their path, the undead just don't care and keep marching southwards. I tried out every possible combination of units (including mermen with a storm trident) but the scenario is just too hard. The thieves are no real help and they get killed by the orcs very quickly. I know that this scenario should be hard but to me it seems to be impossible. At least with the resources I have (I'm new to the game so I have no idea whether 222 gp, a paladin, an elven marksman and a couple of 2nd level units are too little at this level or not). I hate cheating but I'll just have to in order to be able to go through this one :-(

Correcture: Elvish Sharpshooter, 3rd level unit. Not a marksman.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I would suggest that you need more gold and possibly better units. I believe I had around 300-400 and maybe 3 lvl 3 units and 5 or so lvl 2 units. I haven't found the scenario particularly hard the times I have played it.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Ravenheart

Post by Ravenheart »

I think that the difficulty some players have experienced is all down to the stratagem used. It took me 2 tries and a good 15 minutes of thinking to work out what to do. I found it all went very smoothly using this tactic, and i won with ease.
silentoutpost.net • my moosic
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jabberwocky wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium
....Make it a bit easier, please. I start with 222 gp but I wasn't able to finish the scenario yet, no matter which tactic I use.
Normal mortals aren't expected to get through the HttT the first time on medium. There is work being done to make it more accessable, but until then, try "Easy"
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky »

Well, the moment I posted the sad complaint I won the scenario :-) Without having to edit my save, although I had to use the save/load routine and I still think that I won by pure luck (and I lost an Elven Outrider and a Knight, too). OK, I'll try to go on with Medium and if it turns out impossible, I'll switch to Easy. It's a bit confusing though because one never knows with which level to play. I know games that are no fun at Easy either because they are just too ... easy.
In general, I like the game very much. And I am not completely new to such games - I played e.g. Panzer General or Steel Panthers, too, but on the other hand I am really no Erich von Mannstein either. I just like challenge and a bit strategic thinking. Well, I'll see. Thanx for the advice, everybody.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Eleazar wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium
....Make it a bit easier, please. I start with 222 gp but I wasn't able to finish the scenario yet, no matter which tactic I use.
Normal mortals aren't expected to get through the HttT the first time on medium. There is work being done to make it more accessable, but until then, try "Easy"
what fools these mortals be! I guess that makes me immortal, or abnormal. I managed to, but It was annoying--started playing on easy afterwards. Makes you appreciate the easier versions.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Take a look at this thread for a discussion of strategies and needed resources.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7728
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!