Which trait is your favorite?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which is your favorite trait?

Strong
12%
Loyal
27%
Intelligent
27%
Resilient
6%
Quick
27%
What's a trait?
No votes

Total votes: 33

Dave
Founding Developer

Which trait is your favorite?

Post by Dave »

I want to see if any one trait is too powerful....so here's a thread to see what people like. Which trait do you like best?

Of course, it does depend on the unit, but just put down which trait you prefer in most situations.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

Intelligent: Helps my units level quicker, which means they need less battle time to level, which means I can deploy strong units faster.
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

They all do seem good, strong is great for fighters, resilient useful for weaker units like mages, intelligence is always useful, in fact loyal might be one of the few I value the least, since it later levels I usually have tons of money. I do like quick though, becuase I'm always wishing my units were faster, so they don't take as long to get across the map.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My favorites are resilient and quick- that, i think is the best combination. You keep your health high, but you move faster. I don't have 0.6.99.4, so i don't know if it has been changed, but strong does not seem useful, as you only do one more damage. Loyal- i usually have enough money. Intelligence helps, and probably more in 0.6.99.4, but it is not great.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Most favorite: quick, its just plain usefull, it makes your slow units conciderably faster, and it makes the area coverable by your allready fast units even larger.

Least favorite: Intelegant, compleatly useless (and actualy a bad thing to have (- hitpoints)) after the unit is done leveling.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

It somewhat depends of the combination (10 possible alltogether). You could have made a poll for people to rank their 3 favorite combinations of two traits. Quick-strong was good before 0.6.9.9.4, quite less now. People seems to forgot that strong gives both 3 HP and +1 domage.
I end up using strong the most in various combination with loyal, quick and resilient depending on the units.
Will some more trait be added as it was discuss often?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kamahawk wrote:Most favorite: quick, its just plain usefull, it makes your slow units conciderably faster, and it makes the area coverable by your allready fast units even larger.

Least favorite: Intelegant, compleatly useless (and actualy a bad thing to have (- hitpoints)) after the unit is done leveling.
Intelligent doesn't reduce your hitpoints -- in fact its quick that does.
Christophe33 wrote: I end up using strong the most in various combination with loyal, quick and resilient depending on the units.
Will some more trait be added as it was discuss often?
I'm afraid I haven't seen any ideas for traits that I thought were overly compelling. Three ideas that are under consideration though:

- brave: makes units fight better against enemy units that are higher level
- lucky: makes units have a lower-than-expected chance to be hit if the hit would kill them. (this is doubtful though, because it would most likely serve to make players frustrated)
- dextrous: (Elves only) makes units do 1 more damage with ranged attacks. Elves would possibly be stripped of the ability to get 'strong' in exchange for this

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I certainly like dextrous but I think mage should be able to get it too since they have little usage for strong. Maybe you could have strong/dextrous as exclusive from each other (but not restricted to elf), a unit getting one or the other depending if their best attack is melee or range.
I like "resistance" type of traits resulting into reduced domage (something like 25%) against a type of attack, like magic resistance...
Lucky could be a slight (5%) increase in chanse to hit or decrease of chanse of being hit.
Brave could be interesting but you might consider using HP instead of level (i.e brave when fighting against a unit with maybe 25 HP more). Like that it will still work too when a high level unit is seriously wounded. Otherwise a lvl3 unit will not be brave anymore.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dobob

Post by Dobob »

Dave wrote:- dextrous: (Elves only) makes units do 1 more damage with ranged attacks. Elves would possibly be stripped of the ability to get 'strong' in exchange for this
And we will see the brand new dextrous gryphon rider :D Yay!

I have nothing against "only useful for some" traits, but they shouldn't available to any units, but only for some units who would have them in their config files. This would be a lot more flexible than making traits race-specific. For example, we could remove strong for the mage or add a new magic power trait only for mage who would be stronger than dextrous but increase xp requirement.