The Valley of Statues - Scenario Objectives Clarification

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ginger_Ale

The Valley of Statues - Scenario Objectives Clarification

Post by Ginger_Ale »

The victory condition says "Defeat all enemies". Does this mean I have to kill all enemy units, or just the leaders, like the other the scenarios? If it is the former, that could take a while...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Just the leaders, as in other scenarios. Including the leader who is turned into stone though.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ginger_Ale

Post by Ginger_Ale »

Thanks - I finished it now. I read the walkthrough on the wiki (that is very helpful), so those two seemed to sort of contradict each other a bit, but going based on the other scenarios, there would be no way it would be kill all units.

I'm 3 scenarios away from completing Heir to the Throne! :)
scott

Post by scott »

It shall be taken care of.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ginger_Ale

Post by Ginger_Ale »

One more clarification:

Test of the Clans - it says: Defeat 25 units Followed by a Clan Leader (Bonus)
Defeat all Clan Leaders

As with the losing conditions for (losing a leader - Delfador, Konrad, etc.), I am interpreting this as an OR statement (ie; lose Konrad OR Delfador OR ...), so...

I killed 25 units (previously I killed a leader, but not before I had 25 units), so now if I go and kill just 1 leader, will I win, or will I have to kill them all?
scott

Post by scott »

You are correct in the OR interpretation of objectives and in how to win.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Sly

Post by Sly »

before you reached 25 units killed, a leader count as a unit and nothing else :P
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Ginger_Ale wrote:Test of the Clans - it says: Defeat 25 units Followed by a Clan Leader (Bonus)
Defeat all Clan Leaders
This objective is set up in an unnecessarily hard way. From when i played, it seemed difficult to play the scenario without defeating a leader before filling the 25 unit quota. Once i had defeated 25 units i had to fight thorugh another10-20 units to take down another leader.

It seems much more straightforward to require: "Defeat 25 units AND a clan leader" Because otherwise players will be pushed towards an awkward stratagy of trying to kill 25 units while preserving the near-by leader's life.

This level is hard enough as it is, without artificially tricky objectives.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

What if we dropped the Kill a Leader requirement? After slaughtering 25 horsemen surely they get the picture! You're a badass!

I think every leader you kill should join your army in the next scenario and that will be the bonus.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Well it was the most difficult scenario for me by far, but probably also because I thought I had to kill all leaders kinda for a long time, so my favourite moving strategy was to go down then to the left, while keeping griffons to catch enough villages to gain more money. (Btw the showdown level is MUCH easier than this level...)
Part of the problem is the AI, in that it will move cautiously, but the moment it notices it can wreak havoc, it charges forward. Times like this make me want to have archers that get first strike against charging riders ... some hail of arrows at these horses ... ;)

Killing 25 units is rather easy actually. Killing two leaders is possible too but really annoying that the 2nd leader is so far away and sends units all the way to you...

Killing all leaders is really hard, they pretty much seem to have a huge field with not a single tree anywhere hehe.

But If i would make a change to the scenario, I would disable the ability to send two knights in whenever a leader dies. It seems silly that they say "haha the more you kill of us, the more appear of us". Who believes anything what an enemy says? I think they are tactically silly to send their units AFTER a leader has died. They should rather ambush from behind or whatever ... and try to protect their leaders... ;)

Btw I find the recruited archers in this scenario a waste of energy (except level 2 ones), however those riders, no matter if level 1 or higher, are never a waste of resources...
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

:irritated:

Don't do that again please. It's a big waste of space.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
scott

Re: It's and then again

Post by scott »

Dark Knight wrote:I'm a tard.
What is wrong with you?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.