On what version did you first play Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What was the first version you played Wesnoth on?

0%
1%
0%
2%
1%
2%
4%
11%
5%
10%
6%
18%
4%
24%
2%
10%

Total votes: 301

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:I'm going to make a wild guess - the vote for 0.1 was by either Dave or fmunoz. ;)
I haven't voted -- after all I played Wesnoth even before 0.1. ;)

However, I believe there would be a few people around who played 0.1, even if they don't talk that much. I'm not sure if ettin played 0.1, but he did play a very early version.
turin wrote: Jetryl... 0.6?
I think Jetryl may have played earlier than that, since he emailed me with an attempt at a Li'sar portrait quite a while before joining the forum, and I think had already been playing for a while before emailing me the portrait.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

0.7.something

Back before 'The rise of Wesnoth' was included, quite a bit back actually; before male/female units; back when it all looked very anime-ish and animations were only one frame (no death/healing ones either).

I didn't start trolling ... I mean, posting on the forum till quite a bit afterwards though.

P.S. That screenshot doesn't look great, but I can recognize the scenario and the units...
Arne Deprez

Post by Arne Deprez »

0.8.5 I think.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

0.8.10 or something like (december 2004)
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

It might help if there were dates associated with the version numbers. I really wasn't paying much attention to the version when I started playing, but I know it was just about a year ago, sept/oct '04. I think that puts me in the 0.8 area, but that's just a guess.

Ah, here we go, courtesy of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, I can confirm that guess. And I can check out some goofy-looking old versions of the site. ;)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
dtw

Post by dtw »

0.8.5 or 0.8.7 - dunno
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

We need a larger sample! But it looks like most people started playing with 0.8.x. I guess that means people tend to join the forums 6 months after they start playing, and tend to leave after 12 months. :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

0.8 but I tried 0.4.5 and 0.6 and 0.7

My first MP was on 0.9.2
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

0.8.10 didn't really play it unitl 9.2 and joined the forums at 9.6
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

0.9.6 or 0.9.7 - that's what two months ago?

So I know almost nothing about the old stuff. Seeing the screenshots, I think early version of Westnoth wouldn't have seduced me the way it did.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I forgot.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
defsy

Post by defsy »

turin wrote:We need a larger sample!
IMO, even with a mere 54 samples, this begins to resemble a
beautifuly shaped Gauss error distribution curve 8)
Plus we already by far exceeded the 12 sample minimum; OTOH, compared to 2996 registered users ... :roll:
turin wrote: But it looks like most people started playing with 0.8.x. I guess that means people tend to join the forums 6 months after they start playing, and tend to leave after 12 months. :roll:
We have a saying that goes like "never trust statistics that you didn't fake yourself" :wink:

cheers,
defsy
Life creates order, but order does not create life. --- What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.
- both: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JID:defsy@amessage.info
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

86% of the stadistics are made on the spot.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:86% of the stadistics are made on the spot.
100% of that particular statistic was made on the spot.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I think i started in 0.7 but it may of been 0.6, i remember being all dissapointed when the avenger was balanced :P
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth