GameHippo

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ekolis

GameHippo

Post by ekolis »

Any of the developers considered submitting Wesnoth to GameHippo.com? It's a large repository of freeware games, and now that Wesnoth is at version 1.0 it seems like a perfect time to get some more publicity! :D
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think it's best Wesnoth is submitted everywhere.

Developers: I think it's best players can submit them and start a forum topic.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

Freeware != Floss

...'nuff said, now where did I put that alien lifeform...
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Is there even a way to 'submit' something to GameHippo? If so it's not obvious.

Anyhow, anyone can submit Wesnoth there or to other sites. Just go ahead and submit it, rather than asking for permission. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Actually I worked out how to submit a game to GameHippo, and I submitted Wesnoth.

In other news, my submission to slashdot was rejected.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:In other news, my submission to slashdot was rejected.
Hm... I wonder why...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
Dave wrote:In other news, my submission to slashdot was rejected.
Hm... I wonder why...
Probably because they have never heard of Wesnoth before, and with so many submissions, they don't have time or interest to look at the website or try the game. So, they reject it.

Or, they might just not think that Wesnoth is fun, interesting, innovative, or news-worthy.

Of course, it has been heard of that if they get many duplicate submissions they figure it must be news-worthy. I'm not going to submit again, but others are welcome to if they want. :)

David
scott

Post by scott »

You could talk about it in comments. Subject those guys to the "Wesnoth effect".
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Fortify

Posting Wesnoth

Post by Fortify »

I have posted a link to Wesnoth.org and a few positive words about the 1.0 release in a few forums for other wargames that I play. I don't know if it has much effect but that is not the point. Just glad to share something that is worthwhile.

Dan
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

Dave - quite the contrary, some of them know about Wesnoth:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 106&tid=10

I imagine they have quite a lot of submissions, though.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I posted a brief announcement in the Off-Topic section of Groklaw (a web site dedicated to reporting and analyzing legal threats to free/libre software, especially the SCO suits). I basically said, "if you need a break from the legal battles, try out some elf battles". :)

But I got a very interesting response that said it wasn't really all that off-topic because someone has made a SCOvWorld campaign for Wesnoth! Unfortunately, my request for more info on this campaign has gone unanswered. So now I'm incredibly curious--has anyone seen this campaign? Where can I get a copy? Why isn't it on the campaign server?

p.s. if I haven't said it before, congrats on the 1.0 milestone! Yay!
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

One possibility for a good writer could be to write a review of Wesnoth and post it to Slashdot.

They allow reviews of commercial games, so why not Free ones? :)

David
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:Or, they might just not think that Wesnoth is fun, interesting, innovative, or news-worthy.
Or it might just be that Slashdot sucks :P
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The main problem getting wesnoth in slashdot is that you need already the news posted so they can post it again as a dupe.