Awful contrast/colour scheme on new title screen.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

User avatar
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 3692
Joined: August 15th, 2005, 7:57 am
Location: I'm all around you.

Awful contrast/colour scheme on new title screen.

Post by irrevenant »

I just installed and launched Wesnoth 1.0.

The new title screen is awful.

The game title is yellow on a faded yellow (sepia?) background. It doesn't stand out at all. I prefer the old logo, but if the new one must stay, it needs to be coloured in a more dominant colour.

The background also interferes with the tips dialogue window. The tips window stood out a lot better on the old background.

Aside from being unclear, the new background is also boring. The old one was kind of amateurish, and I'd be happy to see it replaced but this is a step backwards.

I think it's a good idea to give Wesnoth a new look for 1.0, but the new look chosen has poor visibility and is dull, IMO
User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Post by Doc Paterson »

I love it, and think it's about 30 times better than the old one.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
User avatar
Dragonking
Inactive Developer
Posts: 591
Joined: November 6th, 2004, 10:45 am
Location: Poland

Post by Dragonking »

Doc Paterson wrote:I love it, and think it's about 30 times better than the old one.
Same here :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
User avatar
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 3692
Joined: August 15th, 2005, 7:57 am
Location: I'm all around you.

Post by irrevenant »

When you say "better" do you mean "prettier"? 'cos I agree it's prettier, but it's harder to read...

Also, I'm currently playing a level set in a cave ("HttT:The Lost General") and I've just noticed that, when you get thrown back to the title screen after a defeat, the new title screen is really harsh on the eyes. (Admittedly, I'm a bit tired, which probably isn't helping...)
Last edited by irrevenant on October 4th, 2005, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

This is my crazy opinion:

They're each good in a different way. The new one is good in a better way than the old one, but the old one was better in its own way than the new one. Overall, I'd say the new one is slightly better, in visual appeal.

However, that is not nearly enough to offset the fact that the title screen's new-found brightness makes the buttons, and definitely the ToW entry, harder to read.

I also agree that gold-lined blue text is better than blue-lined gold text.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott
Posts: 5242
Joined: May 12th, 2004, 12:35 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Post by scott »

Here's the thing.

The layout was designed based on KONRAD.

With the way it is now, there is no reason to have the title on the right. Center it and make it big.

There is no reason to have a column of buttons on the right. Center it or split it up and center it. The layout is non-sensical now.

For the record, I agree that the new background and logo look more professional and polished, but the content of the old background was better. A million times better. Who cares about a map? The old scene conveys emotion, tension, a sense of imminence, and foreshadowing. In both cases we can make an inference about what Wesnoth is, but once you put a person in the picture, we perk up. Who is that? What does he want? What will happen? In the long run, my opinion is that you should try to improve the original title image, and in the short run, please fix the layout.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dtw
Posts: 478
Joined: September 27th, 2004, 1:32 pm

Post by dtw »

The background doesn't look to good at 1280x1024 either...that should be easily fixed I think :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
ILikeProgramming
Posts: 837
Joined: April 14th, 2005, 4:17 am

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think the buttons don't fit, NOT THE LOGO.
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Post by wayfarer »

It might fall snow in the desert before everyone here is satisifed.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Anyar
Posts: 191
Joined: July 25th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Location: MI

Post by Anyar »

wayfarer wrote:It might fall snow in the desert before everyone here is satisifed.
It already has... Antarctica IS technically a desert.
User avatar
Tomsik
Posts: 1401
Joined: February 7th, 2005, 7:04 am
Location: Poland

Post by Tomsik »

But snow falling really rarely on antarctica, air is not enough wet to create clouds. :P
Anyar
Posts: 191
Joined: July 25th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Location: MI

Post by Anyar »

tomsik wrote:But snow falling really rarely on antarctica, air is not enough wet to create clouds. :P
Still a desert though! The only difference between it and a hot desert is that the snow just never(hot deserts have rain, but it evaporates quickly) melts because it is so cold.
User avatar
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 3692
Joined: August 15th, 2005, 7:57 am
Location: I'm all around you.

Post by irrevenant »

ILikeProgramming wrote:I think the buttons don't fit, NOT THE LOGO.
The logo has poor visibility against the map background. It would be bland on a dark background too, but at least you could see it properly.

Compare the readability of the two attached screenshots.

Note too that, regardless of background, the shield colour is too similar to the text colour for readability (look at the "The" in particular).

P.S. From a design perspective, the emphasised word in the logo is 'for'. The old logo emphasised the word "Wesnoth" as it should...
Attachments
title.jpg
title.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
title2.jpg
title2.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
WildPenguin
Posts: 161
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Location: Australia

Post by WildPenguin »

ILikeProgramming wrote:I think the buttons don't fit, NOT THE LOGO.
I completely agree. I like the new background and could easily get use to the new logo, however if anything looks out-of-place it is definatly the buttons. :wink:
Pythagoras
Posts: 72
Joined: February 17th, 2005, 12:53 pm

Post by Pythagoras »

scott wrote:Here's the thing.

The layout was designed based on KONRAD.

With the way it is now, there is no reason to have the title on the right. Center it and make it big.

There is no reason to have a column of buttons on the right. Center it or split it up and center it. The layout is non-sensical now.

For the record, I agree that the new background and logo look more professional and polished, but the content of the old background was better. A million times better. Who cares about a map? The old scene conveys emotion, tension, a sense of imminence, and foreshadowing. In both cases we can make an inference about what Wesnoth is, but once you put a person in the picture, we perk up. Who is that? What does he want? What will happen? In the long run, my opinion is that you should try to improve the original title image, and in the short run, please fix the layout.
I agree entirely with you scott. The old logo enticed me to step in further and become part of the drama. I think it worked particularly well with the title music. The new one is bland and doesn't really excite me the way the old one did.
Post Reply