extra campaigns to package?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadOssor

extra campaigns to package?

Post by MadOssor »

Hi there,

I plan to package some campaigns which are not included in the main distribution of wesnoth, and distribute these as additional RPM packages. But I don't have the overlook which downloadable campaigns are stable and good enough for inclusion.

Since we would also have these additional campaigns on the SUSE Box product and included in OpenSUSE, they should:

* have some translation included (not a MUST, would be nice)
* should be complete

Can you please suggest me some campaigns you would like to have packaged?

Greets
Holger
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The most popular and highest quality campaigns are probably:

Liberty
Flight to Freedom
The South Guard
Saving Elensefar
Under the Burning Suns

The other campaigns I consider to be of top quality, that don't make the above list because they're not as popular, are:

Delfador's Memoirs
Wesvoid
The Sceptre of Fire
A New Order
Invasion of Eliador

The only other campaign being actively worked on, AFAIK, are:

A Gryphon's Tale
Elf War
Orcish Incursion
Revenge
Legend of Wesmere
Ilayin the Illusionist
Unrest in Elfland
A Seed of Evil
The North WInd
Northern Rebirth
Two Brothers

Most anything else on the campaign server is either not a campaign, is not being actively worked on and is of relatively low quality, or is a revision of a campaign in the official version and not an original campaign.

PS: If I missed your campaign or placed it in a category you don't think it belongs, sorry. That ranking was based on my experiences with those campaigns, many of which I haven't played for over a year. But I have played all of them, at one point in time or another...

PPS: Except northern rebirth, now that I think of it. So Northern Rebirth might belong in category 2, not 3.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
appleide

Post by appleide »

I thought "A New Order" isnt finished, is it?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oh, I didn't notice the "Completed" requirement.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

Many thanks for your list!

So these are definitive candidates

Liberty
Flight to Freedom
The South Guard
Saving Elensefar
Under the Burning Suns

If you have more suggestions, please post :)

Greets
Holger
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Add Legend of Wesmere to your list. If you've got some time left, it'll also feature a german translation. :wink:
AFAIK Scepter of Fire should be complete as well and Two Brothers is a nice campaign for beginners.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I think Sceptre of Fire should be added to the list. It is a, hmm, interesting campaign and it is complete. Especially the end is very different compared to other campaigns.
I would be happy, if you added Two Brothers, though i got to do some more polishing to really call it complete. Plus some little balancing improvements here and there. But most should be complete already. And it is well suited for beginners. Most players should have no real problem beating it on easy directly after finishing the tutorial.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

Wow, thanks for the replies. I am working on getting these campaigns into the packages.

There are some things to consider:

For inclusion on media, we need a definitve license statement for the campaigns. For me as a packager, that would mean ideally, that the campaigns - if they are under GPL - would include COPYING in their directories. As theoretically as it sounds, but an addon package to wesnoth is not forced to GPL, and distributors have to care about that (they seriously do).

That also means I theroretically need the allowance from every campaign author to distribute it on media (non-Internet) or the written statement that it's GPLed.

But I know I can't force you all to include COPYING into your campaigns :) (although I would REALLY whish for that, as in that case the license statement is clear).

So I at least must ask here:
Can it be assumed that the campaigns are GPLed?

I've read that some campaign authors themselves replied to my thread. Now if I package those additional campaigns, can I request that you drop me a short mail if you created an update to your campaigns, so that I can update the packages? Campaign authors can write to hhetter AT suse.de

The packages are still work in progress... I'll post updates soon.

Greets
Holger
szopen

Post by szopen »

I would LOVE [1] to see my campaign to be in package after I will finish it; The campaign name is "A New Order", it will have about 30 finished scenarios in Thursday and another 15 are planned, for date of completion of finished version booked for January 1st :)

To avoid any problems, I will include COPYING status, however, I use also public domain graphics (released explicit to public domain by their author) and graphics of other artists which I assume are GPLd

[1] On irc channel I already said how people like me are called on usenet groups; I won't repeat it here, but basically I am not doing the campaign for myself and I love receiving the feedback. Including the campaign in package increases possibility of getting the feedback :)
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Everything put onto the campaign server must be GPL or maybe LGPL (not that it'd make much sense). Of course, getting an extra verification from the authors and knowing the source of images/music won't hurt along with adding a COPYING.

BTW public domain stuff my be offered under GPL as well, this doesn't change the license of the original, just of this copy.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

@MadOssor
When posting a campaign on the campaign server you HAVE to accept that it is published under the GPL. This means you are free to put it into a package as long as it stays under the GPL. But i think it is good that you explicitly ask for doing so. For me it is fine if you put Two Brothers into the pack. Though I am too lazy to put this COPYING in there... (that is only increasing the size and not really needed)

EDIT:
Maybe it would be good, if you had a list of the authors directly shipped with the packages, so that it is possible to contact them if needed.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

ivanovic wrote:@MadOssor
When posting a campaign on the campaign server you HAVE to accept that it is published under the GPL. This means you are free to put it into a package as long as it stays under the GPL. But i think it is good that you explicitly ask for doing so. For me it is fine if you put Two Brothers into the pack. Though I am too lazy to put this COPYING in there... (that is only increasing the size and not really needed)

EDIT:
Maybe it would be good, if you had a list of the authors directly shipped with the packages, so that it is possible to contact them if needed.
That's good to read. So I can safely assume all packages are under GPL.
scott

Post by scott »

I just added COPYING to the new version of Liberty. I wonder if there should also be a copyright statement. I use art from at least 4 different people, so I just said copyrights are held by the respective creators of each thing.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

scott wrote:I just added COPYING to the new version of Liberty. I wonder if there should also be a copyright statement. I use art from at least 4 different people, so I just said copyrights are held by the respective creators of each thing.
Scott, I know that my thoughts are extremly therotical and the common understanding is that "this stuff is free.". The thing is, commercial linux distributors are an enemy goal for lawyers. And those don't care for anything else than money. :) That's the reason I have to be so exact on this matter.

I hope someone understands my thoughts on that.

Therefore at SUSE we established a relativly strict "law" which tells the packagers to be able to offer the license of every single RPM package, as a packager I think that's sometimes very disturbing, but overall that's a good solution.

Besides of that, now that I know that all uploaded campaigns to the campaign-server have to be GPL or LPGL, that's ok for me.

Greets,
Holger
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I know it might be a bit late, but it would be nice if Northern Rebirth could be added to the package as well :) It's compleate, has one partial transalation and is being activley supported. IMHO, the storyline and gameplay are pretty good too and the genneral response I seem to be getting from it is positive.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"