Multiplayer experiences: Day 1

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yogibear
Retired Developer

Multiplayer experiences: Day 1

Post by Yogibear »

Before i start i have to say that Wesnoth is the first game of this kind i ever played.

It was a few days ago when i finally decided to use that multiplayer button. I never played multiplayer neither on Wesnoth nor on any other game. I read the Wiki about it and it said: Hang around on the server and wait for a game to join or observe one. So i went there and watched. Since I had no idea how things work i decided to observe a game that was already running. I stepped in and the gameplay-movie started. I took a glance at the chat and to my surprise they were talking to me :shock: .

They wanted me to take over one of the sides that was played by the AI.
I got a little nervous since I had no idea what to do to join. Even worse i did not know how to answer! The other players further tried to contact me and finally thought that i am not interested at all. Then the movie ended, it was sixth round and i started clicking around a little bit hoping that something happens. Then all of a sudden, i could move a unit (it showed that little footprints). I was in the game! No idea why or how i did it but i started playing. Thank god i did play "Flight To Freedom" before because i got the drakes.

The other ones noticed that i was playing and of course were a little bit astonished that i did not speak a single word. Then in the next round i found this promising menu entry and typed my first message. My ally was very friendly and i enjoyed playing with him. After a successful game i went to bed (much too late) feeling real good. :)

Still there are some questions left:
- does an observer automatically take over a AI side?
- is it decided by the creator of the game who takes part?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Multiplayer experiences: Day 1

Post by Dave »

Yogi Bear wrote: - does an observer automatically take over a AI side?
No, the game creator makes that happen. You should also receive a message from 'server' (in the same place as other chat messages take place) which says something like "Yogi Bear takes control of side 3"
Yogi Bear wrote: - is it decided by the creator of the game who takes part?
Yes.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

To speak in multiplayer, type 'm', then your message, then press Enter. For some reason, you can't do this in single player; I'd like to be able to so that I can record comments for a replay.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.