Question about multiplayer and a feature request

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Khiraly

Question about multiplayer and a feature request

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!

I have a little problem about the version notation. I have compiled 4 day ago my wesnoth. It has becam a verison 0.6.99.2-CVS, and Im not able to join to the multiplayer server. So my question is, can you make the version notation a little more flexible?
So if somebody have a version not too old, and I suppose it is compatible the version that is running on the server, so the version must be a bit flexible. Is it possible?

Another question: how can I join to a game? I have just one choice(Observer).

And when I create a game how can somebody join to the game, what I have created?

Is it somewhere an explication to use the multiplayer function? Or is it just for me misty?

Best regards,
Khiraly
miyo

Re: Question about multiplayer and a feature request

Post by miyo »

Khiraly wrote:I have a little problem about the version notation. I have compiled 4 day ago my wesnoth. It has becam a verison 0.6.99.2-CVS, and Im not able to join to the multiplayer server
server.wesnoth.org is for stable release (currently 0.6.1)
devsrv.wesnoth.org is for testing release (currently 0.6.99.2)
devsrv.wesnoth.org:14999 is for CVS version (currently 0.6.99.3-CVS)

When 0.6.99.2 was released CVS HEAD version was pumped to 0.6.99.3-CVS, there is no server for 0.6.99.2-CVS anymore (nothing stops you setting up one yourself or hosting games with your client).
Khiraly wrote:So my question is, can you make the version notation a little more flexible? So if somebody have a version not too old, and I suppose it is compatible the version that is running on the server, so the version must be a bit flexible.
e.g. 0.6.99.1 is not compatible with 0.6.99.2. If you are using CVS HEAD it is highly recommended that you play with latest codebase, that means updating to your CVS checkout and compiling - right before you play. Why? Because CVS HEAD lives very fast, just in 1 min there can be fixes/changes/improvements that break compatibility with all binaries built with older codebase.

Will it ever be better? Yes, for 1.0.
Khiraly wrote:Another question: how can I join to a game? I have just one choice(Observer).
To join as player you have to join game after it has been setup and not yet started. If game has already started you can only join as observer.
Khiraly wrote:And when I create a game how can somebody join to the game, what I have created?
At the moment most efficient way to get players for multiplayer game are: have friends and play with them, seek for players at IRC (#wesnoth at irc.wesnoth.org).
Khiraly wrote:Is it somewhere an explication to use the multiplayer function? Or is it just for me misty?
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothManual -> go to Multiplayer section

MANUAL (CVS has it, should come with game) is plaintext copy of that Wiki document.

- Miyo