Implement "level-ups" for mastered units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Easuth

Implement "level-ups" for mastered units

Post by Easuth »

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere on the forum it mentioned that the current version of Wesnoth has the capacity for bonus improvements to units beyond the mastery of the path through "leveling up" further. However, it also stated that this feature was not implemented. Well, I would like to cast my vote for implementing it. Why? To make my units more powerful? No, they're already quite powerful enough when they're mastered for the most part. I want it to make it fun to use those mastered units.

Currently, once a unit has completed its path, it can no longer be improved. It still gets experience for battles, but that experience is wasted, game-wise. This makes me regret recalling and using my mastered characters, except for healers. When I do use them, I just want them to weaken an enemy so someone else can move in for the kill. This is awkward and often results in trouble, or a "wasted" kill.

Even if the first level-up for a mastered unit was 500 xp away, and it only involved improving an existing attribute like "strong" another notch, my character would at least be working toward something, and I would have no qualms about hiring and using the fella.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I think the most widely accepted AMLA[1] implementation is a few HP every 100 XP. I support this.

[1]After Max Level Advancement
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The ability to use AMLA has been implimented, however, it has generally been felt that it is not desirable for the official units. If you like wish to play with AMLA, there is a perl utility at:
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ExternalUtilities
under Advance that will allow you to modify many (or even all) units to use AMLA in a variety of different possible ways. The script is getting a little old, so it may have some trouble with the latest builds, but if that is the case and you can't fix it, or it doesn't have the options you want, post to the forum and I'll see what can be done.

making your units have AMLA will work fine for single player, but if you want to play multiplayer, realize that the other people playing will need to also have the same AMLA options on their units or out-of-sync errors will likely occur.
Easuth

Post by Easuth »

I've only messed around with SQL a little bit in Microsoft Access. Do I need some sort of compiler to use this file?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well if you are using windows, you will need to install perl.

you might try:
http://perl.about.com/b/a/2004_04_16.htm

you can ignore all the stuff about cgi and web servers, you just need the basic perl utilities.

I am more of a linux geek, so I don't know a lot about running perl on windows, but there might be some people on the forum who have done it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Personally I think a small amount of AMLA would be A Good Thing.

The benefit being mostly psychological: to many players there is a feeling of satisfaction that the xp isn't completely wasted.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I had post with my opinions on this from almost 2 years ago :-)
Even if you give a 2 or 3 max hp every 200-500 xp people will love it.
Just create a few traits like veteran,elite and ultra-elite and give them to the units.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

fmunoz wrote:I had post with my opinions on this from almost 2 years ago :-)
Even if you give a 2 or 3 max hp every 200-500 xp people will love it.
Just create a few traits like veteran,elite and ultra-elite and give them to the units.
I agree.
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

I proposed a bunch of possibilities for AMLA in other threads, such as this one:
AMLA: Nice ideas for temporary bonuses

I'll just list a few here (for simplicity's sake, let's say you get them every 100XP):
- gaining some extra HP as was mentioned above, or some other stat gain
- gaining a special ability that can only be used one time, such as a powerful magical attack (i.e. every 100 XP the Paladin gets a one-time 'flaming sword' attack)
Other possible one-time abilities: speed boost, free move, on-demand free heal, a normal attack but that has 100% chance of hitting, ...
- a twist on the idea above: AMLA XP becomes a kind of money, with which you can buy one-time special abilities at any time; you could be limited to one purchase per unit per scenario.
- if a 'fatigue' concept is ever implemented (it would nicely balance the randomness in the game), XP would act as a buffer to absorb fatigue, so AML units with a lot of XP would be virtually tireless - as true legendary heroes.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Thanks to Easuth for bringing this topic up again.

I think we'll start with a KISS solution of 3hp for each 100xp gained. I've emailed Darth Fool and asked him to implement it.

After 1.0, we might make things a little more 'interesting' by making different unit-specific 'skills' to choose from. E.g. a mage might be able to choose to learn to cast a new spell -> new attack using cold instead of fire.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Is 3 HP enough?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

Dave wrote:Thanks to Easuth for bringing this topic up again.

I think we'll start with a KISS solution of 3hp for each 100xp gained. I've emailed Darth Fool and asked him to implement it.

After 1.0, we might make things a little more 'interesting' by making different unit-specific 'skills' to choose from. E.g. a mage might be able to choose to learn to cast a new spell -> new attack using cold instead of fire.

David
Great! 8)

I guess we'll see with time if 3hp/100 XP is the right amount.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Tux2B wrote:Is 3 HP enough?
Enough to be even remotly practical? No.

Enough to make people stop bugging the devs about adding AMLA? Yes.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The feature is mostly psychological: there's a good feeling about not wasting experience.

It's still more valuable to spend the xp on lower level units though.
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

Are we gonna get the free heal too every 100XP, as when units level up normally?