Music changes in multiplayer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telex4

Music changes in multiplayer

Post by telex4 »

One thing I find really distracting, and quite odd, is the way that the music track will change with each user in multiplayer. I can imagine it making some sense in a game between humans, but when you play against the AI, and especially with lots of AI players, every time a round is processed and ends you get lots of different music switching in rapid succession.

Could you not set it up so that either:

a) You only hear the music appropriate to your own race
b) You only hear music for human players
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Personally I like it playing different music, even for AI players. When the AI player's move takes a substantial amount of time, anyhow.

Whether the AI's move takes a substantial amount of time generally depends on a few factors:

- if there is much combat happening yet
- whether or not you have acceleration turned on
- whether or not you have shroud and fog of war turned on

If you have acceleration off, and shroud and fog of war turned off, their turns will almost always (except maybe the first move) take long enough to justify changing the music, imo.

A solution, I suppose, would be to not switch the music under the following circumstances:

- it's an AI, and you have acceleration turned on
- it's an AI, and all their units begin the turn under shroud/fog of war

I really would prefer not deferring to the "let's make it a preferences option, because we can't find a real solution" anti-solution.

Thoughts?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming