New guy reporting in !!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Grey Wizard

New guy reporting in !!

Post by Grey Wizard »

Hi everybody !
i have just tried wesnoth and i quite like it, and i have been surprised quite some times by it, including the fact that i get beaten constantly by the ai. SO do any of you more experienced players got any useful hints :?:

Attila

Post by Attila »

In the upper right corner it shows the (defense%, moves) for the terrain the cursor's on, but now this is being made more visable

aelius

Post by aelius »

Always attack with your strength against his weakness.

Never reinforce failure.

Concentrate your troops.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)

Attila

Post by Attila »

never leave a mage exposed

attack from where you have the advantage

if possible use two groups of units (accomplish two goals at once)

ryn

Post by ryn »

Don't overextend, and on larger maps make sure that your units are not too concentrated. That is, you need to balance the extension of your forces and their concentration, because either means loss if in great enough amounts.
2B |! 2B = 3F

szopen

Post by szopen »

Don't sleep.

Grey Wizard

Post by Grey Wizard »

sleep :?:

szopen

Post by szopen »

Don;t sleep. Play wesnoth instead. After first night you will be quite good. After second, you will start grasp fundemantal laws ruling the wesnoth. After third night you will grasp laws ruling the univers. After fourth night [dilber mode] an ancient inca God with a head of monkey will appear and he will give you all the secrets of succesful playing of Wesnoth [/dilbert mode].

So, just do it. Don't sleep. Play Wesnoth instead. But do not forget to tie a pillows to your head in case you will loose conscience in the process (because your head is heavy, it may damage your keyboard if you fall down)

Tomyellow

Post by Tomyellow »

Never forget daytime. I thought at the beginning, that 25% is nothing. On the contrary it can decide battles against heroism.
Never stay next to an unoccupied village! The enemy can go to it and hunt you with high defense and regeneration.

HTH.
Cheers,
Tomyellow

Hearold

Post by Hearold »

These technical approaches may confuse you. Don't worry! Just play the game until you get the hang of it, and then develop your own fighting style. (Personally, the AI isn't as hard for me now as it used to be).
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt