That "OVERPOWERED" DRAKE thing.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Just how powerful are those boys? Assume a smallish MP map with a standard assortment of terrains.

They are low-tier. (Bottum 2)
9%
They are mid-tier. (Middle 2)
36%
They are top-tier. (somewhere in the area of 1st or 2nd best)
29%
They are God-Tier (hands down the most powerful faction, blowing away all competitors if used to their maximum potential)
12%
I'm not sure. It's a tough call.
14%

Total votes: 95

bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Doc Paterson wrote:If you had to go on a week-long vacation with any one drake, which would it be, and why?
A burner, obviously, because then you could make 'smores.

Plus they keep the pesants from getting uppidy.
Elvish Leader

Post by Elvish Leader »

Ahh, sorry. Inferno has 80 percents, Clashert 50. Still, high resistances
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

bonehead wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:If you had to go on a week-long vacation with any one drake, which would it be, and why?
A burner, obviously, because then you could make 'smores.

Plus they keep the pesants from getting uppidy.
Right on.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

If it was me, I would choose the glider. Why do you ask? Because he is large enough to ride on.
Last edited by Assasin on May 31st, 2005, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

Back to the topic: Drakes are overpowered because of you Doc, stop playing with them and there will be much less complaints :lol:
Just bored..
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

hehe, no, its the maps he keeps making that give the drakes such a big advantage.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Neoriceisgood wrote: Who could have guessed that one person (me) could have such deep inpact in the world of Wesnoth.
Bless your soul, laddy. I must ask the creator of the Drakes a serious question. If you had to go on a week-long vacation with any one drake, which would it be, and why?

8)
Hm, A good question Doctor; I'm in doubt between the Hurricane drake and the Drake Flameheart, All in all the Hurricane Drake has alot of advantages appart from being a more sophisticated drake, First of all his enormous wings would mean that there's almost always shadow if going to a hot climat, And his great arial abilities would even give him a double function as good transportation;

The Drake Flameheart at the other hand kicks more butt, Not to mention that Flamehearts have an in-built talent at chess.

I guess I can't narrow it down any further, I hope this awnser made you happy.

-Neorice, Art Developer extrodinaire.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Disto

Post by Disto »

Assasin wrote:
If it was me, I would choose the glider. Why do you ask? Because he is large enough to ride on.
That is just sick assasin, unless your not trying to be sick which i doubt.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Neoriceisgood wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: Bless your soul, laddy. I must ask the creator of the Drakes a serious question. If you had to go on a week-long vacation with any one drake, which would it be, and why?

8)
Hm, A good question Doctor; I'm in doubt between the Hurricane drake and the Drake Flameheart, All in all the Hurricane Drake has alot of advantages appart from being a more sophisticated drake, First of all his enormous wings would mean that there's almost always shadow if going to a hot climat, And his great arial abilities would even give him a double function as good transportation;

The Drake Flameheart at the other hand kicks more butt, Not to mention that Flamehearts have an in-built talent at chess.

I guess I can't narrow it down any further, I hope this awnser made you happy.

-Neorice, Art Developer extrodinaire.
An excellent answer. I myself would deliberate between the same two drakes, and ultimately choose the Hurricane Drake (or perhaps the Sky Drake). Because really, I don't need some super-intelligent Drake beating me at chess while I'm trying to have a relaxing vacation. There was a very close match between the Flameheart and Deep Blue, you know.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

as the lord of blitz, I constantly play the map, I've probably played it around 30-40 times, and only lost six: (or four, two of the games disconnected before the enemy annihilated me completly) Novonda once beat me with orcs, skill and incredible luck, PG beat me in a war of attrition using tactics similar to mine (and elves) and the king of dragons beat me using loyalists by a combination of luck and great skill, the other three defeats were all against drakes...
so do I face drakes more often than other races? no, in fact I probably face them less frequently, I can only remember five games against them, the first I won was against an opponent who bought burners for all his money and then tried to charge my leader, and the second one was against a complete moron who seemed to dislike getting kills - I've lost the other three, and they didn't involve particular luck on the part of the opponent...
So I still think that most drakes are slightly overpowered, but the worst problem by far is the saurian, making it neutral, increasing its cost to 16 and reducing it to just one spear in ranged combat have all been sugested, and I think that if we do all three we'll get a much more balanced units, and the drakes will lose what makes them the most overpowered - I think we should try that.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
olof

Post by olof »

no, so saurians become useless, it's not because of overpowered that you lost against drakes, i think, but because of fire, your strategy seems to be a lot around woses, and of course, drakes are a big ennemy, and a lot of water units, so skirmishers have a great way to go around the little number of units you have in ground. Just find an other strategy against drakes ;)
now saurians are balanced, and saurian rush no more possible, if you change one more thing, i can say you that il will be like for the bats, we will recruit them only for some small things, they will be completely useless.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

olof wrote:no, so saurians become useless, it's not because of overpowered that you lost against drakes, i think, but because of fire, your strategy seems to be a lot around woses, and of course, drakes are a big ennemy, and a lot of water units, so skirmishers have a great way to go around the little number of units you have in ground. Just find an other strategy against drakes ;)
Agreed. And Elfish, you can't really call yourself Lord of Blitz with a record like 35-6. If you think about it, that's close to a 1 loss in every 6 ratio, and 1 in 6 is about the ratio of good, experienced players to non-expierienced players (on the server). A Lord would beat the top players as well. 8) Suppose you call yourself the Duke of Blitz? (A Lord would also wear a large ring with a map of Blitz engraved upon it. :P)
without your noses.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

olof wrote:your strategy seems to be a lot around woses, and of course, drakes are a big ennemy, and a lot of water units, so skirmishers have a great way to go around the little number of units you have in ground. Just find an other strategy against drakes ;)
I do not use woses against drakes other than occasional woses I bought before I knew I was fighting drakes, I generally try to go for mostly archers and hunters, with a shaman to heal and attempt to level as well as a mage or two two destroy those anNoying saurians, but they usually get swarmed by saurians and clashers before being able to do much, and with all those skirmishers going for the ones close to leveling, it's impossible to level anything, I've tried launching huge sea attacks, but with the kind of damage and resilience burners and warriors have, they are only at slight disadvantage (when comparing effectivity and cost) against those hunters, and if I go for sea too much they can easily crush my land force - while I have to split my forces, their flying troops can wreak havoc everywhere, and can thus take on half my army at a time.
Doc Paterson wrote:Agreed. And Elfish, you can't really call yourself Lord of Blitz with a record like 35-6. If you think about it, that's close to a 1 loss in every 6 ratio, and 1 in 6 is about the ratio of good, experienced players to non-expierienced players (on the server). A Lord would beat the top players as well. 8) Suppose you call yourself the Duke of Blitz? (A Lord would also wear a large ring with a map of Blitz engraved upon it. :P)
I do tend to beat top players on blitz as well, as I said, pg is the only one who has beaten me without either drakes or luck, by using slightly improved versions of my own tactic (which I later sto... adopted) and why do you assume I do not wear such a ring?
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

I would deffinately vaction with the warden.

Man have you seen how huge and powefull this dragon is.

1v1 he can take out any other drake in combat.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:

I do tend to beat top players on blitz as well, as I said, pg is the only one who has beaten me without either drakes or luck, by using slightly improved versions of my own tactic (which I later sto... adopted) and why do you assume I do not wear such a ring?
Saying "I lost only due to drakes or luck" assumes that Drakes are the best faction on Blitz.....and that's so far off the mark I don't even want to begin to argue. They cannot hold the water villages under any circumstances, and you'll always have the economic advantage if you manage things correctly. I know that it's possible to win with them, but it's far from being a mismatch in the opposite direction; I would, in fact choose any faction other than Drakes if I wanted to be sure of a win on Blitz. And as for DK beating you....why do I doubt that it was in large part due to "luck"? 8) I'll bet you'd get the same result if DK started with 50 G. :P I kid, I kid.

We ought to have a Blitz tournament in the near future. Who's in?

:twisted:

I use these faces too often.....
without your noses.