The Second Wesnoth Challenge: Rise of the Mages

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

The Second Wesnoth Challenge: Rise of the Mages

Post by Dave »

This is the second Wesnoth Challenge. Hopefully people who found the first Challenge too difficult will enjoy this one more. (Although it won't necessarily be completely easy).

---

In the second year of Garard I, a new threat emerged in the land: Dark hordes were said to be roaming in the fertile plains of the East, terrorising and pillaging the inhabitants. Not Orcs, but worse, hordes of the insidious undead.

The young king formed a battle group, which he sent East to confront this threat. Exactly what their fate was was unclear, but what was certain was that they were badly defeated: the few surviving soldiers told tales of dreadful attacks in the midst of the night by the most foul of enemies.

The king looked to the Council of Mages for counsel, but the Council was weak. Alriagin, the Arch Mage was almost one hundred years old, his mind in the distant past. Indeed, the Council of Mages was considered to be nothing more than symbolic tradition -- a token to the history of Wesnoth, rather than an answer to real troubles. True combat was fought with sword, spear, and bow.

The Mages advised sending more soldiers. Surely enough troops could solve the problem.

But one mage had a different solution: the newest member of the Council, Delfador, a young but talented mage asked the king for leave and modest finances to go and investigate the problems himself. He promised that he would lead a combined force of mages and soldiers to investigate the problem and eliminate the threat to the land.

Garard was dubious, and the Council advised against letting this young mage take charge, but in after another group of soldiers was defeated, he consented to allowing Delfador to try.

---

You are Delfador, a Red Mage. You must find and destroy this threat, with the use of spearmen, cavalry, and mages.

Aims of this scenario are to experiment with the new stats of mages, and to teach players to understand and use day and night.

Day and night have been modified for this scenario: their effects have been DOUBLED. This essentially means that you will do THREE TIMES as much damage at day as you will at night. Make any attacks at night conservative! This isn't as hard as the previous challenge, but if you try to prosecute combat during the night, you will lose!

Remember that bladed and piercing attacks are VERY weak against skeletons. You will need mages against these enemies.

I have compiled a new Windows binary for the purpose of allowing people to play this challenge: http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-12-Jan-04.exe

A number of bugs have been fixed in this binary. Please report any bugs you see!

The Windows binary includes this challenge under campaigns.

The scenario file for people under other systems is at http://www.wesnoth.org/files/challenge2.cfg

EDIT: An OS X binary suitable for playing this challenge is now available: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=583

Scoring is as follows:

- 20 points for victory
- 1 point for every turn early you finish
- 10 points if you never use cavalry
- 5 points if you never use spearmen
- (additional) 10 points if you never use cavalry or spearmen

The competition closes on Jan 28.

Good luck to everyone!

David
Last edited by Dave on January 13th, 2004, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

Played only with mages. Found it easy. Could have avoided losing one or two units with an even more defensive play. Finished 7 turns early which results in 972 retained gold.

Attempted strategy type: Mostly retreat at night, maybe block a few nearby villages. Use weak inexperienced mages as scouts and also to shield wounded experienced units near the front. Push forward at daytime, weaken enemy units with less experienced units and finish them off with experienced units.
matta

My replay

Post by matta »

I palyed only mages too, and used much the same strategy as Feldegast. Finished in 50 turns with 364 gold.

I didn't figure out my strategy until the 15th or 20th turn though. :P In retrospect, I played too cautiously. I built my army of mages too large, didn't advance fast enough, and could have scouted more to take away gold from the enemy. In the end, I was basically sprinting for the finish. But, I did arrive there in enough time to wait for daylight before sacraficing a bunch of inexperienced mages killing the enemy leader.

I ended up with four white mages. Didn't see the point of a red mage on this level.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

How recent a CVS checkout do I need for this? is 9th Jan, 7pm ok?
miyo

Post by miyo »

telex4,
Dave wrote: I have compiled a new Windows binary for the purpose of allowing people to play this challenge: http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-12-Jan-04.exe
So I suggest using Jan 12 or later.

- Miyo
telex4

Post by telex4 »

I used a combination of mages, spearmen and cavalry. I almost got held up by the river, but with some many villages around I was able to bring in several reinforcement groups and simply blitz my way past. My army was a bit excessive by the time I came to the enemy commander, especially as I got the timing just right and hit him with a white mage in daytime!
Sofronius

It was indeed very easy

Post by Sofronius »

I finished twelve turns early despite many obvious mistakes I had made. I was a little bit careless at the end so I have lost two experienced mages - I ended with only one white mage and an army of common mages.
(I used only mages :wink: )
matta

My one "complaint" after playing this level.

Post by matta »

I forgot to mention -- twice when playing this level I accidentally selected "End Turn" from the menu instead of "Undo". This was doubly bad -- each time half my player's didn't do anything on thier turn, and one of them ended up where I didn't want them. :P

I suggest that "Undo" and "End Turn" be separated a bit in the menu.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Approached the enemy from all directions. Victory on turn 34 (of 50)

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: My one "complaint" after playing this level.

Post by Dave »

matta wrote:I forgot to mention -- twice when playing this level I accidentally selected "End Turn" from the menu instead of "Undo". This was doubly bad -- each time half my player's didn't do anything on thier turn, and one of them ended up where I didn't want them. :P

I suggest that "Undo" and "End Turn" be separated a bit in the menu.
The state of the menus is still transitional, and will be corrected. I recommend pressing 'u' to undo commands. (Or do what my fiancee did, and go to preferences and map undo to 'ctrl-z')

Also note that every time you end your turn, it will save your game in 'Auto-save'. You could simply load 'Auto-save' (although this will not allow you do undo, since you can't undo once you've loaded a game).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telly

Post by telly »

10 turns. Used cavalry as a shield and walked derf up to fireball the enemy leader. Probably pretty lucky he survived though. Should be able to do it using the same tactic with spearmen in 12 turns or so I think and get a better score.
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

I used only mages. Similar strategy as miyo. Not very well played. No upgraded mages. Victory in turn 37.

Post by Guest »

telly wrote:10 turns. Used cavalry as a shield and walked derf up to fireball the enemy leader.
Considering that you lost two or three cavalry, it could have been much worse. Expect the unexpected. Would have been enough to surround your mage with a couple of units, so he cannot move well.
Lysander

Replay

Post by Lysander »

Used only mages, finished 13 turns early. Got only one White Mage, and he got fried triyng to kill the Lich, but Delfador finished him off. Never played with shroud before though, it added another dimension to the game.

All in all a pretty easy challenge, compared with the last one, where I tried twice but got slaugthered in about 20 turns, overrun by Wolfriders. Never saw any Elves, either.
--Lysander--
miyo

Post by miyo »

Lysander,

this game had 'Fog of War' not shroud. Shroud is when most of map is black when you start.

- Miyo