Changes in 0.6.2

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Changes in 0.6.2

Post by quartex »

I've just started playing Sithradel's OS X version of 0.6.2 and had a few comments on the changes. Many of the changes are good, but a few irked me.

Adding tiles to borders of map is a bit odd, especially when the a town duplicates itself on the half-border tile next to it. Overall the transitions from one terrain to another got worse from 0.6.1 to 0.6.2 but I realize that's becuase now all the transition graphics have been drawn yet. Likewise the angle of the bridges are a bit off, as seen in the first undead mission.

It would be nice to identify the type of terrian the mouse is hovering over, next to the percentage of defense it gives in the upper display. Sometime it is hard to tell what a tile is supposed to be (the old hills looked like swamp to me), and it can be a bit confusing. It was really useful in 0.6.1 to identify a tile, for example which part of the castle is the keep.

I dislike moving the turn info to the top of the screen, now maybe it's just because I have gotten so used to looking to the right to see what turn it is, or how much gold I have left. But I also think it makes sense to keep all the info in the same place. I liked having the map, time of day, turn info and unit info all on the same part of the screen, I could glance to the right to find all the info I needed. Why was it changed? Was there a problem with fitting all that info on a smaller monitor? And the turn number used to change color depending on whose move it was, that has been deleted as well?

In the second half of the tutorial, Delfador mentions something about switching sides, are you supposed to change starting positions? Because you don't seem to.

The undo command is very nice, however it seems to have taken the place of Save Game, which is very nice as well. What happened to the save game option? Am I missing something obvious?

Keep up the good work.
methinks

Re: Changes in 0.6.2

Post by methinks »

quartex wrote:I dislike moving the turn info to the top of the screen, now maybe it's just because I have gotten so used to looking to the right to see what turn it is, or how much gold I have left. But I also think it makes sense to keep all the info in the same place. I liked having the map, time of day, turn info and unit info all on the same part of the screen, I could glance to the right to find all the info I needed. Why was it changed? Was there a problem with fitting all that info on a smaller monitor? And the turn number used to change color depending on whose move it was, that has been deleted as well?
It was discussed change of GUI though it is not yet final :) You are free to post your suggestions. I am still used to looking to right but believe, it is matter of time, you will quickly get used to new.
All info IS keeped in one place, I think now it looks better and leaves some place on right panel for things like 'end turn' button :)
quartex wrote: The undo command is very nice, however it seems to have taken the place of Save Game, which is very nice as well. What happened to the save game option? Am I missing something obvious?
The same thing, thingws are during reorganisation :) Use hotkeys instead :)
-Adam
telex4

Re: Changes in 0.6.2

Post by telex4 »

quartex wrote:Adding tiles to borders of map is a bit odd, especially when the a town duplicates itself on the half-border tile next to it.
I like the border tiles, though it would be good if game objects like villages couldn't straddle the borders.
quartex wrote:It would be nice to identify the type of terrian the mouse is hovering over, next to the percentage of defense it gives in the upper display.
Agreed.
quartex wrote:I dislike moving the turn info to the top of the screen, now maybe it's just because I have gotten so used to looking to the right to see what turn it is, or how much gold I have left. But I also think it makes sense to keep all the info in the same place.
I disagree, I think it looks better along the top.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'll probably get used to the new changes. But maybe white on grey isn't the best color scheme for the info on the top of the screen. Maybe the white on dark blue might be a bit easier to see, or maybe people would think they are buttons?

What is the hotkey for saving? I don't see any in the wiki.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

quartex wrote:I'll probably get used to the new changes. But maybe white on grey isn't the best color scheme for the info on the top of the screen.
The UI is still under construction. You can try to design a new UI, and/or suggest ideas.
quartex wrote:What is the hotkey for saving? I don't see any in the wiki.
Ctrl + S
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Do note that many of the changes are temporary, since the screen layout is in a transitional phase.

In fact, you can even hack around with the screen layout yourself, it's stored in data/themes/default.cfg [1] and although the file format isn't very well-documented, you might be able to work out how to make changes you want.

We are planning on having a drop-down menu at the top of the screen that gives access to options like saving, quitting the game, etc.

The hotkey for saving is control + s. You can configure hotkey settings by going to Preferences -> Hotkeys.

David

[1] I don't where this is on OS X
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks, control-s does work in OS X, although the hotkey combination control-f doesn't switch between full screen and windowed mode. Menus are nice, but being able to do everything by just right clicking is just as easy.

Another change I noticed was that when you beat a level and save, the save point for the beginning of the next level is right after all the intro dialogue, but right before the scenario objectives window pops up. My point is that upon opening the start of a level you no longer get to see the intro dialogue, while the dialogue may be tedious to some, it often helps explain how to beat that level. Again, this is a change from 0.6.1 which I think should be changed back. Or perhaps it is just a bug that the dialog isn't going off when the save file is loaded.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

quartex wrote:Or perhaps it is just a bug that the dialog isn't going off when the save file is loaded.
This was a bug, which has been since fixed.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks. I don't mean to complain about every change you make, I realize that this is still definitely a project in development. I just like to provide feedback and bring possible bugs to people's attention. Glad to hear it has been fixed. Wesnoth is a very impressive game, even at 0.6.2, and it's getting better each day.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

quartex wrote:Thanks. I don't mean to complain about every change you make, I realize that this is still definitely a project in development. I just like to provide feedback and bring possible bugs to people's attention. Glad to hear it has been fixed. Wesnoth is a very impressive game, even at 0.6.2, and it's getting better each day.
This is no problem :) I wouldn't have known about the bug myself unless some other people, like yourself, had complained about it.

David
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I can't remember if this was in the last cvs version of 0.6.2, but in the newest OS X binary I really really like the fact that units now show up on the minimap. Okay, pink wasn't the first color I would have picked for the elves, but it really is nice to be able to see where units are at a glance. Identifying units with circles is nice too, although it doesn't quite match the graphics for the tiles and units, i'm sure this will be worked on. This is really useful in the undead level 1 and 2, especially in two, with 3 orc aces running around I can see where each side's units are on the minimap, and where orcs and fighting each other I can actually see who is fighting who. Its a simple change, but it helps a lot.