Just amazing!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadOssor

Just amazing!

Post by MadOssor »

Hello there,

my message is of no real use, you could consider it spam, but I feel the urge to express myself!

This game is just superb! I want to thank the developers and all other helper for creating such a gem. And best of all, it's free, reaches commercial quality and even beats them!

I've been playing now for three days, immediately got my girlfriend into it, and we are playing it like a drug now :)

Normally I am not a player of those hexagon strategicals, but wesnoth immediately let me jump into the game because of it's unreached easy game play. This way, so easy to learn, beginners like me can begin without headaches. It's amazing what strategies are possible, how many variation is upcoming, while keeping the game so easy at the same time.

As far as I played the first campaign now, I saw a nice story and extremly nice graphics.

So, that's my spam. Enjoy, and keep up the good work!

Thank You!

MadOssor
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Your message is of use, because it is always encouraging to the developers to hear that people enjoy the game. It is also very interesting to us to hear specifically what about the game people enjoy.

So thank you for your feedback, and we're glad to hear you're enjoying yourself!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

David,

> It is also very interesting to us to hear specifically what about the game people enjoy.

I can tell you.

Here are the things the game already fullfills:

1) Easy for beginners

The Indroction campaign is absolutely fine. You learn what you need to do the jump into the first campaign.
The only point of critism is on the first campaign, first map: You have to deal with allied forces. Ok, theoretically I did know that, but it is kind of confusing. I remember asking myself why I can't control these allied forces. Lastet for about 2 minutes, until I got it.

This is a minor problem, but it kind of confuses the beginner.

2) Translation

Well, I don't know about other languages, but the German translation is extremly fine, thanks! Superb Job! While (I THINK!!!) I don't have a problem with english language, for others it could be a real problem. And to top it: If the game is in native language, you can make the most out of it.

3) Graphics

Nothing to say. Just great! I was so brave to look at some network games as a spectator: I was surprised how many other graphics are there!

4) Gameplay: LevelUP

I can't recall how often I used the LevelUp of a creature as a feature. I see myself thinking:" ... well, if I attack, and it will survive, it will get it all!". The way the game handles LevelUP is an essential point. It was sometimes necessary to win a scenario!

5) Gameplay: UI

The UI is amazingly fine! I think it reaches commercial quality or beats it. For example the online-help of the game is so good, that you really WANT to read the stuff, and are really interessted. Though, here is a small point of critism: I did not see online-help when my creates advanced and I clicked on "profile" ... happened on Elvish creatures. I chose that one that had online-help data available. Sorry, I can't recall what exactly it was.

So, that was some opinions. I am happy that my message was considered as actually no spam, and I think I could help out with some things when I am longer in the game.

Greets
MadOssor
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

MadOssor wrote:Though, here is a small point of critism: I did not see online-help when my creates advanced and I clicked on "profile" ... happened on Elvish creatures.
Yeah, that's one of this game's particular unfeatures: It doesn't let you get information on units you haven't encountered yet, which is kind of a nuisance if you're levelling up into units you haven't encountered yet.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
MadOssor wrote:Though, here is a small point of critism: I did not see online-help when my creates advanced and I clicked on "profile" ... happened on Elvish creatures.
Yeah, that's one of this game's particular unfeatures: It doesn't let you get information on units you haven't encountered yet, which is kind of a nuisance if you're levelling up into units you haven't encountered yet.
This made me confused too in the beginning.

Why is it like that, anyway? Is there some reason behind it?
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
If that is the case, it should tell the human player that the creature is not encountered yet.

So, is that a bug?

I mean for me it's simple: I have a LevelUP, and I get two possible Upgrades. For one, I can see all information including help, and for the other I only see the raw data, but no text in the help screen if I click on profile.

I consider this as a bug, or missing german translation.

Sorry for my poor english.

Greets
MadOssor
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

If you want to look up a unit, just go to units.wesnoth.org.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

if the german translation of the string is not there, it should just use the english string.

What I would call it is an "intentional bug": That is the intended behavior (not showing the data of a unit you haven't seen in a campaign), but having the help system behave as was intended is a pretty bad idea. It should, IMHO, be changed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
varradami

Post by varradami »

turin wrote:What I would call it is an "intentional bug": That is the intended behavior (not showing the data of a unit you haven't seen in a campaign), but having the help system behave as was intended is a pretty bad idea. It should, IMHO, be changed.
I'll second that! I had simply assumed the help files weren't complete. It's actually rather annoying... I'm not sure what the point of it is anyway, since the information is online. But it's useful to have it in the game than have to switch to a browser to reference the stats.

I'll also second being rather impressed with the game. :D
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Elvish Pillager wrote:If you want to look up a unit, just go to units.wesnoth.org.
The fact that everyone can do this makes the feature of hiding help files ridiculous. I say lets scrap it. Knowing what units who you arn't fighting right now isn't going to give you any advantage since the info is irreleant to your current situation. And knowing the possible upgrades to your units is something you need to know. You get to examine the possible upgrades when you are asked which one to level to. If you had access to the info earlier you could make the decesion earlier and not have to waste time comparing the options when you are actually confronted with a choice. This might cause a slight speed increase in mulitplater games because you can look up the info while it is someone else's turn.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

I believe what the OP is talking about is when levelling up, say, an Elvish Fighter for a first time, you are presented with two choices. He has never encountered a Hero or Captain before, so there is no Help entry for both units. But he clicks on the Profile button in the choose-your-upgrade dialogue box, so an incomplete box pops up.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

jonathantan86 wrote:I believe what the OP is talking about is when levelling up, say, an Elvish Fighter for a first time, you are presented with two choices. He has never encountered a Hero or Captain before, so there is no Help entry for both units. But he clicks on the Profile button in the choose-your-upgrade dialogue box, so an incomplete box pops up.
Exactly that's it. To fix this, either make the help saying "Sorry, you did not encounter that creature yet." or always enable all help texts (which is the better solution IMHO). Just a suggestion :)
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

This issue will be fixed in the upcoming 0.9.1 release.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

isaac wrote:
This issue will be fixed in the upcoming 0.9.1 release.
That's great! :D
stormoog

Post by stormoog »

Compared to a first class commercial game, IMO Wesnoth compares reasonably well on most fronts. I think the graphics are a bit better then in commercial games (so stop talking about building a 3D-rendered Wesnoth game!). :)
Yet Wesnoth is the only game which I have played until now where I haven't thought of a winning strategy[*]. I presume that once an unit, or unit combination becomes too powerfull, it is toned down in the next version.
I have to agree Wesnoth is a superb game.

* such as, in other games
build artillery with the greatest range in the game
park it at the edge of a canyon (which units cannot cross)
watch all the enemies die
Amor omnia vincit.