sleeping gryphon ambush: is this a bug?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

sleeping gryphon ambush: is this a bug?

Post by dtw »

ranger moves next to sleeping gryphon on "gryphon mountain", HttT. Ranger is attacked by awake gryphon, sleeping gryphon also attacks without waking up, misses ranger but takes damage. Sharpshooter attacks sleeping gryphon, gryhon wakes up and recovers all damage
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This will be easy for Shade to fix ( :P ). Just have, instead of killing the unit, it store the unit, change the type, and then unstore it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

There's also the issue of being attacked by a unit which is asleep at the time...
Shade

I'll take a look

Post by Shade »

turin wrote:This will be easy for Shade to fix ( :P ). Just have, instead of killing the unit, it store the unit, change the type, and then unstore it.
I'll take a look... Thanks to whomever made the original report...
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
dtw

Post by dtw »

that was my girlfriend! she was most displeased when her ranger died! it must be bug she cried!
Shade

I hate to make people cry :(

Post by Shade »

Since I hate to make people cry, and nobody needs the wrong kind of friction in their love life here's what I want to do:

Use store like Turin said so the HP change is preserved... Since it's a little unfair that the sleeping Gryphons 'bite' set their movement type to 'none' and give them a 10-1 attack (AKA- they wake up enough to attack once)... I'd also set the 'waking' gryphon's movement type to 'fly' with the riders modifications... Now since you get the jump on them I'd like to give them +5 HP, that and the fact they have a 'better' movement type for where they are will make them harder to deal with...

edit: since I'm touching units I should consult the list, even though they are 'special units'. I'll try to fix it for the next release.
Shade

Ok, after extensive testing

Post by Shade »

Ok, after extensive testing:
- Since 'attack' events are fire before a weapon is swung the kill event happens and you get the awake gryphon as soon as you attack.
- This makes the HP non-transference moot (new unit is spawned before the old even attacks).
-This also means that no matter what you do you seem to wind up attacking the Waking Gryphon.
-The only way to really make something like this work is with a 'post_attack' event.
-A 'post_attack' event would also be handy with Merle in the tutorial.
-I want a 'post_attack' event... Or an after_event=yes /no for most events (Think all of the events that work with a SUF).

I'll see if I can beg a C++ developer...
dtw

Post by dtw »

man - i never thought it would be that complicated!

How come no-one spotted it before? What triggered the sleeping gryphon attack anyway?
Shade

It's not really complicated

Post by Shade »

dibblethewrecker wrote:man - i never thought it would be that complicated!

How come no-one spotted it before? What triggered the sleeping gryphon attack anyway?
It's not really complicated per say... I was just silly and implemented the [store_unit] stuff then wondered why isn't this working? (Forgetting that the WML in an attack event gets processed before the attack happens) So there is little that can be sanely done to change the current behaviour...

Looking at the WML attacking the sleeping Gryphon should be the only thing to wake it. The sleeping gryphon has a move of 1 and movement type of mounted. So so long as it's surrounded by anything mounted is slow on it shouldn't move. Albeit, I might put some modest changes into the Gryphons...

For those of you who are WML wonks you might want to voice your support for this:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func= ... m_id=12681
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Please repost that link when you aren't logged in, because I support a post_attack event fully.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Shade

@Madmax

Post by Shade »

The proposal I made got a bit more ambitious. Try this link:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... m_id=12681
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

dibblethewrecker wrote:How come no-one spotted it before?
Actualy I brought it up over a year ago and nothign was done about it.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... t=gryphons
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
dtw

Post by dtw »

it was the getting attacked by it while it was asleep that i was mainly concerned about...
Shade

heh

Post by Shade »

Kamahawk wrote:
dibblethewrecker wrote:How come no-one spotted it before?
Actualy I brought it up over a year ago and nothign was done about it.
he he I wasn't allowed to play with HttT a year ago :) Will it's on the radar now as soon as I figure out something decent to do about it I will.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

what's wrong with turning him into a waking gryphon once you attack him, not once the attack is finished?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm