Players are not interested in competitive?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Players are not interested in competitive?

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Iif you are willing to look at all he savefiles by hand and know wml/lua well enough you can uncover this, quite sure that this does not apply to the majority of players.
I know nothing about the way the multiplayer server or savefiles work, but if humans can see this tampering I feel like it should be possible for the server to take a savefile at the end of each game and run some kind of automated test on it and at least flag likely cheating cases.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Players are not interested in competitive?

Post by Pentarctagon »

gfgtdf wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:21 pm This would be a complete overhauling wesnoth's current client-server structure, and probably to much to dicuss in this thread.
Yeah, I don't think we're going to come up with solutions for the best way to accomplish any of this here, but I figured more detail on why the current state of things creates fundamental problems would be useful.
UnwiseOwl wrote: February 29th, 2020, 5:46 pm
Iif you are willing to look at all he savefiles by hand and know wml/lua well enough you can uncover this, quite sure that this does not apply to the majority of players.
I know nothing about the way the multiplayer server or savefiles work, but if humans can see this tampering I feel like it should be possible for the server to take a savefile at the end of each game and run some kind of automated test on it and at least flag likely cheating cases.
That's an aspect of the second point I mentioned:
The wesnothd server would also need to be the initial source of the game's data. Currently client 1 tells wesnothd what the scenario's data is, and then wesnothd sends that on to client 2. Instead, wesnothd would need to be the one telling both clients 1 and 2 what the scenario's data is.
Since it would be the initial source of the scenario data, wesnothd would know the data is good, and from that it could make determinations like "since this is the Freelands map with the Default era and no modifications enabled, any situation where someone tries to add gold via the [gold] tag is invalid".
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code