Inclusion of The Battle for Wesnoth android port to F-Droid

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vanta

Inclusion of The Battle for Wesnoth android port to F-Droid

Post by Vanta »

Hello, I'd like to propose the inclusion of the android port of the Battle for Wesnoth to F-Droid. F-Droid is a free and open source software repository, where every app is built from source and signed by F-Droid.

The inclusion policy requires approval from the project authors. Since The Battle for Wesnoth is a big project with many contributors, I'd like to open this to discussion. I've already got permission from Alep (author and maintainer of android port).

I'll be handling the inclusion (writing metadata for building it with F-Droid buildserver), there is no need of any actions from project maintainers and contributors except for permission.

Additional information about F-Droid (and inclusion policy) can be found here https://f-droid.org/en/docs/
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Inclusion of The Battle for Wesnoth android port to F-Droid

Post by josteph »

I can't speak on behalf of "the project authors" but this sounds like a good idea to me. And we can add a donate button to our f-droid page, which may generate some more income for us :)
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Vanta wrote: February 19th, 2019, 6:03 pm Hello, I'd like to propose the inclusion of the android port of the Battle for Wesnoth to F-Droid. F-Droid is a free and open source software repository, where every app is built from source and signed by F-Droid.

The inclusion policy requires approval from the project authors. Since The Battle for Wesnoth is a big project with many contributors, I'd like to open this to discussion. I've already got permission from Alep (author and maintainer of android port).

I'll be handling the inclusion (writing metadata for building it with F-Droid buildserver), there is no need of any actions from project maintainers and contributors except for permission.

Additional information about F-Droid (and inclusion policy) can be found here https://f-droid.org/en/docs/
I already answered by e-mail, but just to be "official" about that...
Given that I only ported the game to Android, so I don't actually know if this can be a "final" answer, if you are willing to take care about filling the gaps to meet F-Droid repository requirements, no problem for me.
Vanta

Post by Vanta »

alep wrote: February 20th, 2019, 12:02 pm
I already answered by e-mail, but just to be "official" about that...
Given that I only ported the game to Android, so I don't actually know if this can be a "final" answer, if you are willing to take care about filling the gaps to meet F-Droid repository requirements, no problem for me.

I don't see any problems, BfW is fully compileable from source (including android port), it's licensed under GPL-2 or later, assets are licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 (which is not a strict rule for non-code assets anyway).

From technical side, everything also seems to be ok. I already wrote a buildscript and metadata for F-Droid, and was able to compile it on my own buildserver.
josteph wrote: February 19th, 2019, 6:14 pm I can't speak on behalf of "the project authors" but this sounds like a good idea to me. And we can add a donate button to our f-droid page, which may generate some more income for us :)
I can't seem to find any donation links, could you provide it please?
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Be aware that most assets are under GPL2 as well. The change to allow CC-BY-SA 4 was recent and only applies to those assets which specifically state so.

I do not know of any means to donate to the project. The Apple Store took a small payment which, as I understand it, went to the port maintainer (which seems fair since Apple charges a fee for the privilege of programming their hardware). You will need to contact a member of the board directly to see about setting up a means to donate.

The issue is not technical. Technical issues are one-time issues. The issue is on-going maintenance. Someone will have to maintain the presence on F-Droid on an on-going basis.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I've already asked discord/IRC about donate links, I'll let you know the answer.
stefankeys

Post by stefankeys »

I hope this goes through because I don't like using the play store.
Check out my blog at sosbrigade.club
Vanta

Post by Vanta »

Inclusion progress can be tracked here: https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/me ... uests/4530
So far I've included donation link to Alep's page, since I didn't find any other wesnoth donation pages.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Vanta wrote: March 17th, 2019, 1:58 pm Inclusion progress can be tracked here: https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/me ... uests/4530
So far I've included donation link to Alep's page, since I didn't find any other wesnoth donation pages.
Wesnoth's official Liberapay can be found here.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I see no reason against this. So, go ahead! Just keep in mind we (the project) won't be handling any of the maintenance.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?