Moremiru's only trait is Loyal. Is this intentional?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DumptyMcGanti

Moremiru's only trait is Loyal. Is this intentional?

Post by DumptyMcGanti »

Hi all,

I am new to this game.

Question about Moremiru:
-I am asking this here because the latest search result for Moremiru is in 2017.
-Moremiru's only trait is Loyal. Is this intentional?
-If not I vote for him to receive an additional trait just like any other special unit.
-I have read the multi-player forums and understand that this game has been properly tested for many years before it has been deemed as balanced. I am however unaware about balancing in scenarios.

Loyal + Strong:
-He has a special sword attack and this will make it better (from 7-4 to 8-4).
-His custom portrait suggests this trait.
-Makes him unique as he is the only mage who is good at melee (IMO because that's how I safely defeated the Lich without taking much damage in exchange).

Loyal + Resilient:
-Helps him survive his own scenario better.
-His custom portrait also suggests this trait.
-Does not make him unique as the other mage is also Loyal + Resilient.

Thank you.
otzenpunk

Re: Moremiru's only trait is Loyal. Is this intentional?

Post by otzenpunk »

DumptyMcGanti wrote: February 12th, 2019, 5:15 pm -Moremiru's only trait is Loyal. Is this intentional?
It certainly is. The trait system's main purpose is not to make units better, but to bring a little bit of variety into otherwise identical units. Whenever you create special units as a campaign author, you have the choice, if you want to assign random traits as usual, or you may select any number of predetermined traits of your liking, and loyal heroes often do have more than two. With real custom units though, it often doesn't make sense to assign any traits (apart from loyal at least), as they most certainly already differ from other units by a lot, and you could easily just change the raw numbers. Maybe Moremiru is in fact strong, and his magic sword would cause one point less damage without that? You can't know and it really doesn't matter. The campaign designers obviously decided, that his special melee attack had to be exactly this good, and they could have easily made him stronger or weaker without dealing with any traits.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The code that creates Moremirmu explicitly specifies random_traits=no, so I agree it was an intentional decision. Furthermore, note that when units have random traits, balancing subsequent scenarios is harder. See for example how Delurin is much more useful in a certain later scenario if he has the quick trait.
Spoiler:
DumptyMcGanti

Post by DumptyMcGanti »

josteph wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:16 pm The code that creates Moremirmu explicitly specifies random_traits=no, so I agree it was an intentional decision. Furthermore, note that when units have random traits, balancing subsequent scenarios is harder. See for example how Delurin is much more useful in a certain later scenario if he has the quick trait.
Spoiler:
I was watching videos on youtube and saw that their recruits and mine had the same traits, Haldiel (horseman) being strong, Mage being resilient and Delurian (Outlaw) being intelligent.
So I thought that these NAMED characters were programmed to have said trait.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Not always. Some of them have hardcoded traits and some of them have random traits.