Wesnoth source in 2 parts

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

Wesnoth source in 2 parts

Post by denispir »

Hello,

I have Wesnoth 1.14 installed from (Linux) binaries. But I also want the source to explore the Lua 'ai' functions (most are not explained on the wiki, like the funnily named 'dstcrc' ???). However, the download from sourceforge delivers a package in 2 parts, whatever mirror I choose (the second file is named "wesnoth....bz2.part") which my archive manager cannot extract: depending on the way I proceed, either it just says "extraction not performed" or more precisely, about the "part" file, "cannot open archive" plus "unknown archive format" or such (sorry I have not written the exact messages, it takes time which I haven't right now, but the meaning is thus).

Since such archives tailored in parts are not rare, and my archive manager probably is right (it is the std Ubuntu one), I suspect the partial archive to be corrupted. I you know another solution to download the source (or just the Lua and AI related folders, albeit preferably not file per file), please tell me! :-) Else I will nevertheless copy them from sourceforge file per file when I have time... :-(

thank you,
diniz
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth source in 2 parts

Post by josteph »

Keep in mind that that will give you the master (1.15) branch, unless you explicitly switch to the 1.14 branch afterwards (git checkout -b 1.14 origin/1.14). Or you can run git clone -b 1.14 https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git to get the right branch up front.

About the part files, I'm guessing you just need to cat the two files before extracting them, but I can't test this, when I download from SF I'm prompted to download one large file, not two small ones.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

denispir wrote: February 9th, 2019, 12:34 pm download from sourceforge delivers a package in 2 parts, whatever mirror I choose (the second file is named "wesnoth....bz2.part") which my archive manager cannot extract
Are you using Firefox, and is the other file called wesnoth....bz2 but 0 bytes long?

Firefox does that while it's still downloading - creates an empty file to reserve the name, saves all the data to the .part file and then renames or moves the .part file to the proper filename. If that's it, then you need to wait longer for the download (or restart it, if it failed).
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Chrome does the same thing but wisely chose a different name which is easier to see what it's doing: .crdownload

Also, if you are just interested in just the Lua or WML, you already have all that from the release package and don't need to download the source kit.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
denispir

Post by denispir »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: February 9th, 2019, 2:41 pm Also, if you are just interested in just the Lua or WML, you already have all that from the release package and don't need to download the source kit.
I need the cpp source files which build the 'ai' (and also 'wesnoth') lua tables (used as modules). Not that I'm pleased to have and "decode" cpp code ;-), but I need it.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... 2/download just downloads a single bz2 archive. If you're seeing any ".part" file, then that means the download isn't complete yet.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code