map editor help or tutorial

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

map editor help or tutorial

Post by denispir »

Hello,

I am desperately searching for info about map editor usage (help or tutorial or whatnot). The help menu entry actually loads Wesnoth help, which contains nothing about map edition if I'm right. I also searched the wiki (nothing but a SoC request) and the forums.

[For instance, I guess that maybe defining mixed terrains (eg woody hills) is made by backgroud and foreground but I cannot manage to do that.]

Thank you, Denis.
BTIsaac

Re: map editor help or tutorial

Post by BTIsaac »

I have no idea how that's done either. I think you need to hold shift and click, with background and foreground set or something like that-of course it doesn't work on mobile, so I just load up existing maps that have them and copy-paste.
I think you can also open the map up in a text editor and fiddle around with terrain codes.
That being said, I'm pretty sure this is nit the correct subforum for this, so expect a mod to move it somewhere else.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

More documentation is always good. I think it's simply that the people who would write it had already met terrain codes elsewhere, turned them on, and didn't realise how the map editor feels without them.

In the Map menu, turn on "Draw Terrain Codes", and then mouse-over the terrain palette. Terrains with codes that start with a caret, for example ^Fp, are overlays which can combine with the non-overlay terrain below them. For some of them it always just adds the overlay, but for the forest ones you have to hold shift to add just the overlay. I've no idea why.

The "FG" and "BG" seem to just mean "left mouse button" and "right mouse button", I don't see how they relate to foreground and background any more.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

If someone knows how the editor works and feels really motivated he could also try to fix the editor topics on the wesnoths ingame help (which are currently disabled because they are very incomplete) and make a a pull request on github https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... r/help.cfg
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

To add to what gfgtdf said: could someone document the shift tip in help.cfg or on the wiki? I didn't know that one myself.
denispir

Post by denispir »

So I'm not the only one ;) and a real help, tutorial or manual seems needed. I would happily contribute (esp. on a wiki platform) but for this I would first have to be able to learn...

In the meantime, since I first only wish to modify (albeit drasctically) an existing map, I can deal with terrain codes in text mode, but I strongly guess that things like mixed terrains may well be as "well" documented in text as in graphics directly. Let us see...
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

If you ask here on the forums or on discord we'll be happy to help you learn anything you want to. :)
denispir

Post by denispir »

I answer my own little question about mixed terrains in map editor, in case others were also searching. One must:
  • First, draw the foreground (eg great tree).
  • Then only draw the background (eg grassland) using shift + click.
Thank you @octalot :) for having pointed to the Draw Terrain Codes command (in the Map menu), very helpful, as well as Draw hex coordinates for future ref in the scenario.
denispir

Post by denispir »

dTerre wrote: January 21st, 2019, 12:49 am
denispir wrote: January 7th, 2019, 6:18 am I answer my own little question about mixed terrains in map editor, in case others were also searching. One must:
  • First, draw the foreground (eg great tree).
  • Then only draw the background (eg grassland) using shift + click.
Thank you @octalot :) for having pointed to the Draw Terrain Codes command (in the Map menu), very helpful, as well as Draw hex coordinates for future ref in the scenario.
Good to hear the editing is easier than I thought.
In fact, it seems to be even better (to be checked again, I speak from vague memory): one can create a mixed terrain using shift+click with either base or overlay terrain; provided the already placed terrain is of opposite type indeed. This also changes either base or overlay terrain depending on the active terrain type (as shown on right side). Decorations (eg desert plants) also work the same way.

The map editor is now great! (I knew a bit an old version dating from many years ago). Only a simple user guide is lacking... (I would write a sketch if I knew it enough, there seems to be many functionalities I do not know nore use. Some basic things remain obscure, eg how to select an area to fill it with a given terrain type...)
denispir

Post by denispir »

Another question: is it possible to add labels or other text on the map, directly from the map editor (instead of from the scenario through WML code)? The corresponding button in the editor seems desactivated (greyed, and does nothing I can notice).

Thank you,
diniz

PS: I figured how to fill areas. Just select the terrain and the Fill tool, the editor then even shows the covered area if you let it the time to react, click if correct, done. Works very fine :).
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Labels are part of scenario. Map is not aware of them.
denispir

Post by denispir »

Ravana wrote: February 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm Labels are part of scenario. Map is not aware of them.
Thank you, Ravanna.
(But the editor still has a desactivated "label" tool.)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

The editor has a scenario-editing feature, which enables those buttons, and it writes a .cfg file as well as a .map file. However, IIRC it has problems with hand-edited .cfg files.

There is another feature, for putting named locations on the map; these aren't shown to the players, but can be accessed from WML. For example, you could label a location as "miniboss_8", and then in the WML spawn a unit there using location_id=miniboss_8 in a Standard Location Filter, similarly your WML could put labels on the map using those locations. These are placed by the "Starting Positions Tool", click the "Add" button and then type in some text (but it can't just be a number, as that will be a player-start).
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I've started collecting the tips from this thread on the wiki: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/MapEditor
MasoJesoo

Post by MasoJesoo »

Hi guys, maybe it's an old thread, idk, but seems like what i'm looking for

Is there a way to place the variant walking corpse in the editor? Like, a wose undead or something? I managed to place some basic humanoid wc, but i don't know how to place variations or even if that's possibile