Affecting random "rolls"

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BrandonD

Affecting random "rolls"

Post by BrandonD »

I've currently been playing a campaign for several days now and I've noticed that the results of the "random" attacks in this particular campaign are radically different from so many other campaigns I've played in the past. For example, say that a creature in my army has a 70% melee attack, in the past that creature's average number of hits has always resulted in about 70%. But for this particular campaign, a creature with a 70% attack will end up hitting only about 40% of the time. I'll save and repeat the same scenario over and over, and the results are always far less than 70%. The only reason I've noticed this is because I've played so many games in the past and I've become familiar with results of the random generator, so when it suddenly becomes radically different it stands out for me.

My question is, are the designers of these campaigns able to manipulate fundamental mechanics of the game, such as the results of "random" rolls? This is honestly just curiosity on my part, maybe the designer just wanted to make his campaign tougher. Thanks to anyone who wishes to provide their input, and love the game!
The_Gnat

Re: Affecting random "rolls"

Post by The_Gnat »

The designers definitely can make the randomizer different (for example I have seen mods that remove randomness entirely), but I doubt they would do so without informing the players (usually more units and less gold suffice to make the game harder). What campaign are you playing?

Potentially it could be that you are just happening to get 'unlucky', that is expected to happen at some point in any truly random system.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It is possible, but generally there is no reason to do this in secret. https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cfg#L493
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

It might be a bug in the campaign, for example a FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT macro (as Ravana said) with a filter that matches more than it should. Maybe report it to the campaign maintainer.
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

the macro have effecively a bugs resolved in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/3760 PR.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Note that the bug was introduced 3 weeks before, so not in any release.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Why is it people have no problem with their Hero constantly running heedlessly into battle and surviving by the skin of his teeth but the one time he trips over a tree root and stabs himself its all the fault of some defect, if not outright cheating?
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 8th, 2018, 1:49 pm Why is it people have no problem with their Hero constantly running heedlessly into battle and surviving by the skin of his teeth but the one time he trips over a tree root and stabs himself its all the fault of some defect, if not outright cheating?
^_^ I absolutely agree. I think the concept of randomness if often misconstrued. However, I don't believe BrandonD was suggesting defect but instead curious about if it was possible to modify the RNG.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I know. But I can't reply on the Steam forums because they (Steam) require me to purchase the right to support our product. Maybe, now that they have some actual competition, things will improve. *sigh*
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.