Best map(s) and why?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SmashingSuccess

Best map(s) and why?

Post by SmashingSuccess »

Title says it all.
Byron

Re: Best map(s) and why?

Post by Byron »

"Objectively" speaking?
ghype

Post by ghype »

best maps on add-on server? for multiplayer?

currently Ageless Scrolling, Orocia, WCII, Afterlife are the most popular multiplayer maps/scenarios on the server.
enclave

Post by enclave »

isars cross, it's small and cool :)
SmashingSuccess

Post by SmashingSuccess »

objectively speaking, or as objectively as possible anyhow.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I think the answer depends a lot on what is being played... is it a specialized scenario ... some epic battle ...

My favourite campaign is that arabic night one, so the maps there were often very special, very good and very interesting.

Actually there were two "arabic night" variants ... both of which allow for heroes to progress with new abilities, which is
a nice twist. But let's ignore special scenarios for the moment.

I think the best "combat maps" are those that have different hotspots of actions. Like several fights and you may
need a different unit mix to do well there.

When playing elves, I love forests and ranger/avengers, due to stealth and ambushes.

Open area can be problematic when there are enemy knights. I don't like these maps too much since lancers
and knights are quite annoying to deal with.

I also like maps where special events happen, as long as it is not unfair or strange (like that one campaign
in a mainline where an enemy commander sends a whole army of units as messengers to call for
reinforcements... about as large as the amount of units he had in his recruitment squares... :P)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Recently I was playing an interesting "world map", with battle-scenarios.

I already forgot the name but you are literally playing against every race, fighting some King T...something or H.something...

Anyway - what was interesting to me was that the person who created this scenario was actually sort of creating another game. It was wesnoth still inside but also a bit of oldschool RPG adventuring + inventory.

The inventory stuff keeps on coming up over and over again by the way. I hope it will be eventually streamlined, with sufficient flexibility, to become a usable part of main wesnoth lines. Default could be disabled, but so many add-ons would benefit from the same equipment scheme to use.