Amiga Wesnoth Version 1.8.6 question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HelmutH

Amiga Wesnoth Version 1.8.6 question

Post by HelmutH »

Hello Wesnoth Team
I am an avid player of your game. Play it however on the Amiga and there can not be reached the expansion campaign and scenarios over the server add-ons.wesnoth.org. Error: The server has broken the connection. Is it possible that it will be released again for version 1.8.6 or is there another way to get to the extensions?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Amiga Wesnoth Version 1.8.6 question

Post by Ravana »

1.8 server will not be opened again. You can find its archive from http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.8/
HelmutH

Post by HelmutH »

Thanks Ravana for the tip.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to set this directly from the game via the expansion button. If I enter the server there add-ons.wesnoth.org I get the error message. Has anything changed on the server name?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

That address isn't supposed to be put into the game interface at all. Instead, you're supposed to download the add-ons with your browser (or a download manager, whichever you prefer), unpack them (they're compressed in .tar.bz2 format) and put the unpacked folder into your userdata/data/add-ons directory.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

This may seem awkward, but the manual steps confused me too. For the most part because I was unfamiliar with the directory
structure of wesnoth.

As awkward as it may sound but if anyone has some spare time, it may be nice to enable this within the GUI itself too. E. g.
whereas users can get confused, wesnoth as game and the interface could be able to handle it, even if it is merely an addresse
(I assume that the code already works, since add-ons can be downloaded via the GUI already). I understand time constraints
though; C++ is not the simplest programming language.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

1.8 is not supported anymore. For active versions there is campaignd running where wesnoth can connect to.
HelmutH

Post by HelmutH »

Okay Elvish_Hunter, I will download the extensions and then push the files into the respective folder. Thank you for your help.

@shevegen
I also always found it easy to download the data via the expansion button, as the files were then immediately transferred to the correct folders. So you must have to look that you put it yourself in the right folder, but that should get at too, I think.

@Ravana
Yes, unfortunately 1.8 is no longer supported and an update of the Amiga version is unfortunately not in sight. And unfortunately, the newer extensions can not play under the V1.8.6, because there are just changes in it that can not stand with the old version.