What manner of the projection is the map of Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Can-ned_Food

What manner of the projection is the map of Wesnoth?

Post by Can-ned_Food »

I would suppose that most people are treating it like a Mercator projection — although I've seen an old one which was azimuthal and in the southern hemisphere: viewtopic.php?p=578990#p578990

I ask because I am writing up the premise for a prehistoric campaign which requires that I map out the geography of the whole world for cosmogenic purposes.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: What manner of the projection is the map of Wesnoth?

Post by zookeeper »

The projection used on the existing bigmaps is unspecified (nor does it matter much, considering how small part of the world each map portrays), but it is of course some kind of cylindrical projection.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Has there even been a decision that the world is a globe? The dunefolk origins thread didn't seem to be certain on that.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

octalot wrote: July 30th, 2018, 10:58 am Has there even been a decision that the world is a globe?
Not officially, but it seems like a reasonable assumption regardless. A globe requires no particular explanation, but if it's something else then that means there's some weird cosmology going on and that would require an explanation of some kind.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

zookeeper wrote: July 30th, 2018, 2:09 pmNot officially, but it seems like a reasonable assumption regardless.
I was under the distinct impression that there has been as a matter of fact. In The Rise of Wesnoth, Burin the Dwarf comes to the conclusion that he travelled around the globe after meeting his people on the northern continent.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

BTIsaac wrote: August 1st, 2018, 11:15 am
zookeeper wrote: July 30th, 2018, 2:09 pmNot officially, but it seems like a reasonable assumption regardless.
I was under the distinct impression that there has been as a matter of fact. In The Rise of Wesnoth, Burin the Dwarf comes to the conclusion that he travelled around the globe after meeting his people on the northern continent.
While Burin is canon, I'd always be careful to treat him as anything but a meme. He is mostly a comedy relief (IIRC, haven't played TRoW in many years) that throws a (hard to believe) wrench in quite a few cool lore discussions. I'm of the opinion that the edge case of Burin should never hinder a good story/idea/world building etc.
Nevertheless, zookeeper gives a perfectly sound reason to go with the obvious so we found a case were Burin isn't a problem... *yay*
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.