1.14.3 reload/out of sync bug?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Duhuh

1.14.3 reload/out of sync bug?

Post by Duhuh »

Bug 1?
Hi. I am not sure if the following is a bug. It has happened several times but not every time.

I was playing Isar's Cross in Wesnoth 1.14.3. Another person also used 1.14.3. We got lots of out of sync errors from the game, and had to save and reload at turn 8. After we reload the game, we didn't agree on where the pieces went. In the end, I repeated the exact same steps I took, and we continued the game. This is quite frustrating. One of the players quit the game after we tried to reload it for 3 times. Clicking back to turn didn't work. The game ended at turn 12. Save files are attached.

I am using Lubuntu Linux 17.04 and compiled the 1.14.3 release from github.
I used the following command to grab dependencies.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libboost-all-dev libvorbis-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libssl-dev cmake make scons pkgconf
I compiled wesnoth 1.14.0 with cmake in a sub-folder I make (Downloads/wesnoth-1.14.3/build/). After that I directly run the file in the sub-folder.

Bug 2
When I send chat messages to allies only in multiplayer game, my teammates says I am not using ally-only chat.
They say they see <> around my name instead of asterisks(*). My teammate tells me that in nearly half of the Isar games.

But players in the opposing team seems to not see my messages. Or, they are crafty and didn't tell us ...
When I check the save file, the messages is sent to the correct side (instead of every side).
Attachments
4p — Isar’s Cross Turn 8is..gz
(30.39 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
4p — Isar’s Cross Turn 8.gz
(30.3 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
4p — Isar’s Cross-Auto-Save12.gz
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
4p — Isar’s Cross-Auto-Save8.gz
(30.61 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.14.3 reload/out of sync bug?

Post by gfgtdf »

while it's not totally impossible that this is a bug with wesnoth, it's it much more likely that this happens becasue the cleints local data is differnt, either becasue one of the players explcitly changed them for whatever reason or becasue one the the player tried to cheat or becasue one the the players has a bad addon installed.
Clicking back to turn didn't work
clicking 'back to turn' in mp does not load a game like it does in sp, instead of gives the player the option to review previous turns.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
enclave

Re: 1.14.3 reload/out of sync bug?

Post by enclave »

Duhuh wrote: June 30th, 2018, 4:58 am Bug 1?We got lots of out of sync errors from the game, and had to save and reload at turn 8. After we reload the game, we didn't agree on where the pieces went.
Hi, as a person who has played wesnoth for like 10 years I can only tell that this kind of bug was here forever, it as described by gfgtdf may happen because of other player cheating, some kind of specific user-made add-on bugs, but in general, in 99.9% cases it just happens because it happens... (sad to say, but main fault lies somewhere on mainline developers, having had this bug forever they could add option to force synchronization of all variables with either host machine or one of the players of majority of players who treated the event to be out of synchronization, there is mostly just 1 out 4 who is OOS, so variables could be forced synced with any of the rest of 3, or the host). The bug happens with clean install of wesnoth as well, in my observations mainly it has nothing to do with installed add-ons or cheating. But it can often be the case if you playing some user-made add-on or if it happens repeatedly then it's highly possible (in this case, try deleting all add-ons, one of them might be the problem).
And OOS means that the game you are playing is out of synchronization somewhere, maybe you recruited a unit for 20 gold, but enemy computer thinks that you only have 19 gold for some reason (in this case OOS happened somewhere before, but it wasn't obvious until you recruited), so you see the recruited unit, but your enemy doesn't and reports the even as Out of Synchronization (OOS) and magic starts to happen when you use this unit for attack, or when enemy unit moves exactly on top of your unit etc etc.. Basically from the moment you see OOS messages you and your enemy started to play 2 different games, I wouldn't call it multiplayer anymore :) You both seeing 2 different maps, different units, in different places.
Unfortunately my experience tells that this bug will not be fixed at least for the next couple years (and possibly never), such is wesnoth, the best thing you should do straight away when you see OOS messages is save game and reload... before further moves of non-existant units mess things up even more badly.
Duhuh wrote: June 30th, 2018, 4:58 am Bug 2
When I send chat messages to allies only in multiplayer game, my teammates says I am not using ally-only chat.
They say they see <> around my name instead of asterisks(*). My teammate tells me that in nearly half of the Isar games.
Yeah this has been an annoying bug, my best recommendation is to tell them to check the chat log (in menu), because on most versions of 1.14 the * will be shown in chat log, so you can actually see that it was ally chat :)