Wesnoth 1.14 on Android

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth 1.14 on Android

Post by Iris »

I got a report of an event crash issue taking place with the Android port while playing my add-on Invasion from the Unknown from the 1.14 add-ons server, scenario 10x (“Elynia”). I wasn’t provided with a save from the affected device, but I am going to assume that using one of my own from PC (Linux) will work just fine since the sequence does not depend on any special or potentially platform-specific state from saved games.

iftu-elynia-android-test.gz
(64 KiB) Downloaded 634 times

Moving Anlindë (the unit next to the gates) to the stone tablet at 26,28 should trigger a cutscene, and at some point an error message like the one below should display and cause it to abort further event processing, making it impossible to progress any further in the campaign.

Screenshot_20180622-172119.jpg

I’m being told this might be the consequence of the port using an external Lua library instead of the one we ship with the mainline sources, which has some important config changes and code modifications (most importantly, the fact that it is compiled as C++ instead of C code), since apparently this happened with the iPad port recently as well and has already been addressed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

alep wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 6:34 am I'm not speaking about wesnoth packages installation folder, but about app internal storage. That space is usually not accessible by the user unless the phone is rooted, but can be cleaned from phone settings.
The app stores there informations about installed packages and if that file can't be saved or gets lost it behaves exactly as you said.
Please send me a debug report as described here:

https://www.alessandropira.org/bfw_android/faq#dbg

To access setup options you'll need on startup you can tap on "show more options" in the data install location dialog.
I've looked at the app data in the phone settings and unless I clear it manually, it seems to be intact.
The other problem is, while I've read the instructions for the debug report, i still have no idea what I'm supposed to do in this particular situation. The instructions say i need to reproduce the bug, but the bug happens either on startup, before i even get the option to send a report, or when i close the app, at which point I can no longer send a report.

EDIT: okay, i sent SOMETHING. i have absolutely no idea if it's useful or not.
EDIT2: I would also like to point out that whatever is causing this is NOT interfering with the legacy version, and while I'm not exactly computer savvy, this does make me suspect that the problem is not on my end. Otherwise 1.12 would be having the same problems.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

Hi Alep
Congratulations on the 14.3 update! Sadly the chat bug mentioned earlier is still present, I thought I would just tell you in case you have tried to fix it already
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

shadowm wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:23 am Moving Anlindë (the unit next to the gates) to the stone tablet at 26,28 should trigger a cutscene, and at some point an error message like the one below should display and cause it to abort further event processing, making it impossible to progress any further in the campaign.
Ok, thanks, I have checked that and I believe I found the cause of this bug. I plan it to solve it soon.
BTIsaac wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am EDIT2: I would also like to point out that whatever is causing this is NOT interfering with the legacy version, and while I'm not exactly computer savvy, this does make me suspect that the problem is not on my end. Otherwise 1.12 would be having the same problems.
Well, please also consider that many other devices behave correctly. Anyway, I'll report back to you when I'll have news about this issue.
RolfDhew wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:59 pm Congratulations on the 14.3 update! Sadly the chat bug mentioned earlier is still present, I thought I would just tell you in case you have tried to fix it already
Thanks. No, I still have not fixed this issue, so yeah, I expect the bug to be still there as you noticed.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

alep wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 8:10 pm Well, please also consider that many other devices behave correctly. Anyway, I'll report back to you when I'll have news about this issue.
I am but if the problem is on my end, why isn't the old version acting up? It's just weird.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so whatever the issue is, it doesn't seem to be interfering with addons, saves, or maps saved in the editor. So far, it mostly appears to be an annoyance, so even if it isn't fixed, it's hopefully not going to be a huge problem.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ok, I've released a new version, which includes some bugfixes.
shadowm wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:23 am Moving Anlindë (the unit next to the gates) to the stone tablet at 26,28 should trigger a cutscene, and at some point an error message like the one below should display and cause it to abort further event processing, making it impossible to progress any further in the campaign.
This should be fixed.
BTIsaac wrote: June 20th, 2018, 9:46 am Okay, so EVERY SINGLE TIME I start up the App, I get asked what packages to download. Every single option I don't check gets DELETED before the game stards.
Please try it up. If it still doesn't work, please send another debug report.
RolfDhew wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:59 pm Sadly the chat bug mentioned earlier is still present, I thought I would just tell you in case you have tried to fix it already
This should be fixed.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

alep wrote: June 26th, 2018, 5:36 am Please try it up. If it still doesn't work, please send another debug report.
Allright, it's working. At least it looks like it does. Thanks. I'll call back if anything else goes wrong.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so here are a few things I noticed.
First off, the sliders. Not only are they small, they lack frames and there are no scroll arrows, which makes scrolling through lists tricky. I need to tap directly above or below the slider (which in the case of drop-down lists will simply close them), or double tap the screen and drag the selection through the entire list.

Another problem is one I encountered in the minimap. The tracking window is missing, so I can't tell which part of the map I'm seeing. Also, unit view seems to be permanently disabled, regardless of how I toggle it. I sent the debug info if it's helpful.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

alep wrote: June 26th, 2018, 5:36 am Ok, I've released a new version, which includes some bugfixes.
This should be fixed.
BTIsaac wrote: June 20th, 2018, 9:46 am Okay, so EVERY SINGLE TIME I start up the App, I get asked what packages to download. Every single option I don't check gets DELETED before the game stards.

Please try it up. If it still doesn't work, please send another debug report.
RolfDhew wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:59 pm Sadly the chat bug mentioned earlier is still present, I thought I would just tell you in case you have tried to fix it already
This should be fixed.
Thank you Alep! The bug is fixed ☺
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

BTIsaac wrote: June 26th, 2018, 4:21 pm First off, the sliders. Not only are they small, they lack frames and there are no scroll arrows, which makes scrolling through lists tricky. I need to tap directly above or below the slider (which in the case of drop-down lists will simply close them), or double tap the screen and drag the selection through the entire list.
For scrolling windows, keep in mind that you can slide two fingers on the screen. This gesture sends arrow keystrokes to the game, and although its main purpose is allowing to scroll the main game map easily, it can be used for sliding lists too.
BTIsaac wrote: June 26th, 2018, 4:21 pm Another problem is one I encountered in the minimap. The tracking window is missing, so I can't tell which part of the map I'm seeing. Also, unit view seems to be permanently disabled, regardless of how I toggle it. I sent the debug info if it's helpful.
I'll check that.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

alep wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:00 am For scrolling windows, keep in mind that you can slide two fingers on the screen. This gesture sends arrow keystrokes to the game, and although its main purpose is allowing to scroll the main game map easily, it can be used for sliding lists too.
I am aware of this. This is what I meant by dragging the selection across the entire list. It works, but it's also pretty tedious. And it doesn't change the fact that the new sliders are a major downgrade from how they worked in 1.12. Well, provided that this is how they look now, and it's not a graphics glitch in the UI.
SatHyre

Post by SatHyre »

Hello.
I installed 1.14.3 on a tablet and a smartphone.
As posted, the unit colour in minimap doesn't work.
Another issue with chat message during a game : the first letter of the message doesn't show. It shows for example ello instead of hello. Don't have the issue in lobby, only in game. And I have this issue on the tablet and smartphone.
kayosam

Post by kayosam »

I installed 1.14.3-50 and when go to main screen on game it has a blue transparent filter. Is there any way to remove it?

Android 8.1.0
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

SatHyre wrote: June 27th, 2018, 5:52 pm Hello.
I installed 1.14.3 on a tablet and a smartphone.
As posted, the unit colour in minimap doesn't work.
Another issue with chat message during a game : the first letter of the message doesn't show. It shows for example ello instead of hello. Don't have the issue in lobby, only in game. And I have this issue on the tablet and smartphone.
Hello.
The minimap rectangle problem has been solved and will be ok in the next release.
About the first key "lost"... I'll check that.