Making a browser version of wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

dagnelies

Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by dagnelies » June 2nd, 2018, 7:51 am

Hi guys,

I was toying around with the idea of making a browser based version of wesnoth.

This lead me to wonder if there is even interest in the community about such an endeavor.
So, bluntly speaking, would *you* like to see such a project realized?

This is of course a herculean task, so such a project should not be taken lightly. I won't go into details about the technical aspects here, it's more to "feel the pulse" of what you think of it as a community.

Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by Pentarctagon » June 2nd, 2018, 8:29 am

Depending on your approach, there was a previous attempt at this, though it seems to have stalled out.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

gnombat

Post by gnombat » June 2nd, 2018, 12:37 pm

dagnelies

Post by dagnelies » June 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm

Ah, I've already seen both. I must confess I'm actually a bit skeptical about the "transpiling" of the c++ codebase directly into js.
The other one looked surprisingly good! It is rather well done.
While I was toying around with my prototype, I haven't achieved such well done maps yet.
However, I'd also like to prioritize a minimally viable/playable game, rather than reproducing the tiling system to perfection. That would be a step after.

pauxlo

Post by pauxlo » June 14th, 2018, 5:29 pm

An interesting thing to consider would be interoperability with people playing the downloaded game, e.g. playing multiplayer games together.
This might be possible by reusing a part of the engine (the part which does the actual WML and rules stuff) on the server, and just rewriting the UI in the client. (Though it might also be that this would introduce too much lag.)

dagnelies

Post by dagnelies » June 16th, 2018, 8:32 am

Well, the multiplayer compatibility would be a challenge. I'd already be happy with a trimmed down single player version ;P. I've already tried to "just" parse the WML itself, but the pre-processing and macros are fairly convoluted/tricky. The WML itself also has a really huge scope, with tons of different tags/properties. Just parsing the data is a challenge.