Old Campaigns and Szenario recycling.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MrTabasco

Old Campaigns and Szenario recycling.

Post by MrTabasco »

Hey all, I felt like lightning had struck when I saw Wesnoth on the Steam Store yesterday.

I played it a lot back when I was traveling around with just my crappy laptop, and am very happy to see this Gem getting more coverage. However, I haven't been around in a long time, and was a little bit confused when I found there weren't as many Addons as I remembered.

I looked around in the forum a little bit, and as far as I understand it, a lot of these old maps, scenarios etc are just not longer maintained and not compatible with the newest Version. There seem however to be some tools to get these maps back up and running.

Soo, long story short: Can someone tell me what I had to do to get some of these old gems up and running again? :eng:
I have a little bit of time to spare at the moment, so why not use it for Wesnoth. I especially remember some RISK kinda maps that I really loved.
Last edited by Pentarctagon on May 12th, 2018, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed [size]
Sudipta

Re: Old Campaigns and Szenario recycling.

Post by Sudipta »

Easiest way is to install the old stable version 1.12 or maybe the older ones if u played those
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It depends on how far back you go. I think most campaigns from 1.10 will still load. As you play through one, you will get error messages, and you can fix them as they come up. (Assuming you know at least a little WML. If you don't, that's where you should start.) The farther you go back, the less likely this is to work and the more WML you will have to replace. If you go back far enough, even the maps will be unreadable and it might take hours of work to make the campaign load in the first place. It also depends on the complexity of the campaign you are working on of course.

At the moment, the version on steam is brand new, and that's why it doesn't have a lot of add-ons. The list will get longer as content creators get around to updating their work. If you want to have more options but don't want to install two versions of BfW, you can still run most 1.12 add-ons in 1.14 pretty well. You can get them from this website: http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.12/.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MrTabasco

Post by MrTabasco »

Thank you for your an helpful answers. I will take a look at the 1.12 versions, and try WML.
enclave

Post by enclave »

MrTabasco wrote: May 12th, 2018, 2:32 pm Thank you for your an helpful answers. I will take a look at the 1.12 versions, and try WML.
ask any questions when you actually choose your path and what you want to do... :D When the questions become more specific we could help better maybe :D I would start with downloading 1.12 wesnoth and see if the mods you looking for are there... if yes then it's really easy to transport them into 1.14
The risk like addon will probably be called "conquest", "conquest plus", "conquest-" by Gwledig, slowthinker... etc
but who knows maybe u talking about too long ago.. and mean something else..
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

I'm going to have a stab at getting my mods back up on Wesnoth 1.14
all the best
Gwledig
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Byron

Post by Byron »

I still play 1.10.7 a lot, & have 1.12.6 & 1.14.7., installed on my PC, too. I regularly switch between them depending on what I want to play at the moment. I use 1.14.7 when I feel up to trying a new campaign. Right now, I'm playing the last scenario of Case of the Missing Scepter on 1.12.6.