The RNG

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JasonBaggins

The RNG

Post by JasonBaggins »

OK so don't get me wrong i absolutely LOVE wesnoth but i mean come on am i the only person that thinks the RNG software is BS. So if anyone has a link to any of the no Randomness Add-ons i will sell you my soul for it (jk) but i would be very happy if someone could. I have the better odds add on but it doesn't seem to do anything except screw me over. Thanks a million!!!
Choicerer

Re: The RNG

Post by Choicerer »

Hi, Better Odds doesn't screw you over. Here's a video:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

How many threads have been made on this just this year alone?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't know. Maybe the RNG can guess :P

@JasonBaggins: Sorry, I could not resist - this really is a recurrent theme. People just tend to notice the bad luck more than the good luck. Try to search the forums, there will be threads with recommendations for add-ons like no randomness etc.
enclave

Post by enclave »

I will try to port from 1.12 my "different luck" mod today... just for you... (Done..) not sure if it works for all faction or all abilities.. but for default should work fine.
But you know... this problem is everlasting:) just embrace the reality the way it is or play add-ons like "Q CIV" or "conquest-"
Well different luck would make luck different, it all depends on what exactly you want from it :D A different RNG, A hybrid RNG, a new RNG or no RNG lol

We should just for fun classify all RNG add-ons.......LOL
In my opinion:
Different odds (I think it works with all eras, but it's hard to see a big difference) - hybrid RNG
Different luck (may not work too well with non default eras or abilities) - different RNG
No Randomness Mod (what the hell is this... i would call it a beta version that you can't really use..) - i don't know how to classify this, because it doesn't work in any kind of predictable way. a hybrid of no RNG and different RNG.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

JasonBaggins wrote: May 8th, 2018, 10:05 pm OK so don't get me wrong i absolutely LOVE wesnoth but i mean come on am i the only person that thinks the RNG software is BS.
No, there're already several threads here, where people complain that they're "screwed over" by the RNG. I've also seen a "let's play" video on YT, where a guy repeatedly tried to fight orcs with elves at night and in the plains, and blamed the RNG that he kept losing despite reloading multiple times. He couldn't be farer from the truth, though. In fact, he just didn't grok some of the most basic concepts of Wesnoth's battle system, and the RNG would have been indeed his only chance to win the scenario once in maybe one hundred times, while continuing to ignore terrain and daylight effects. :twisted:

I don't know, if you've already noticed, that you can press the 's' key during play, and get a statistical overview over your numbers in the current scenario. Have a look at it, whenever you think you might be screwed over by the RNG. Of course it may happen, that you recognize, that you've dealt way less damage or you've taken way more than expected, and then you're indeed a little bit unlucky this time, but that shouldn't very often be the case.
JasonBaggins

Post by JasonBaggins »

Oh im fine with the current system if i dont like a way a battle went i just reload and try again, there have been times that ive taken ten minutes just to get one fight to go right. This usually happens when im trying to set up my weaker units for kills, I dont necessarily have horrible luck with it i just wanted to see if there were any absolutely zero randomness add-ons out there that i just havent come across. I didnt mean this thread to be a whine fest about RNG. Also thanks for all the tips and such.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Wouldnt no randomness just make you quit then? Seems you rely on having all fights go your way.

Not discouraging such saveloading though, campaigns seem designed to have you do that by getting you attached to individual units. Which is why I quickly turned to multiplayer.
enclave

Post by enclave »

"different luck" is very close to 0 randomness ;)
And don't worry, what you are doing now, is statistically absolutely normal :D I was like you too.. :D
Unfortunately.. or fortunately.. wesnoth games are just statistic.. you can be quite a super genious but you won't be able to win all games in a row (unless you possibly play total defense 100 turns boring game, if you trully genious maybe its possible, idk). RNG will screw u sooner or later.. but statistically you will have a good percentage of wins... which shows in LADDER webpage :) statistically these guys there are the best.. they Statistically manage to turn their rng failures into less of a failure.. Although sometimes it's very sad to see how much influence bad luck (not just RNG, but bad positions, bad decisions, matchup etc) makes on their mood and confidence.. When some of them starts to lose few games in a row, especially in tournaments games it looks like they lose faith in themselves completely.. Everyone need to just understand that this game is more about statistics... You can only be best statistically... You don't have to win all games.. Or all tournament games... You may lose all games in tournament in bad circumstances (RNG, RL, weather, matchup, recruits etc) and its absalutely normal!!! Later you will win 30 ladder games in a row.. and after 2000 games it will be obvious that you are statistically number 1 :D