Wesnoth as a simulator of reality.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pedros

Wesnoth as a simulator of reality.

Post by pedros »

Wesnoth is fun to play as a game. I think it would also be fun and educational to play wesnoth as a simulator for ecosystems like fish, savana, micro-orginisms, insects. It could also simulate historical events. Has there already been a discussion about this? What work needs to be done for this to happen? Is there already a senerio that is based on reality? Are there wesnoth maps of real locations?
Last edited by Ravana on April 26th, 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No category included, so moved to Users’ Forum.
Sudipta

Re: Wesnoth as a simulator of reality.

Post by Sudipta »

Interesting idea. There are a few addons which are based on historical events in the add on server of the 1.12 version e.g. eastern europe at war.(never played it tho but saw its name in server). i think theres a ancient rome simulation campaign too tho it new. I don''t know if there are maps of real locations, sounds like a lot of work to me. Making scenarios about ecosystem simulator is a very simple thing tho. Any UMC creator can do such a thing, just make animal units and put them in a map and voila. There already are some real animal units like wolves, bats etc in mainline and i saw some more in various UMC's. U could make some more like fishes and birds etc. Draw their sprites and then code in their stats. Simple, but not easy esp. if u r new to these things.

I had an idea about a Savannah simulator. Make several unit sides - split in 2 main groups carnivores and herbivores... lions, hyenas, cheetahs, leopards, vultures .....elephants, wildebeest, buffalo, zebras. now the herbivores will be passive and reactionary AI, but the carnivore side will be controlled by players, each controlling different faction and it will be like animal turf wars in reality. Killing different herbivores will grant different amount of xp and stat bonuses based on their strength and in the end u gotta kill all the other carnivore factions to win.

If i was more proactive, i'd do it myself but alas...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'd imagine some significant tweaks to the AI would be necessary as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

There's a number of Animal Micro AIs that are trying to do more or less that, along with a test scenario demonstrating how they work. And I'm always happy to experiment with new AI behavior if there are other suggestions.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

pedros wrote: April 26th, 2018, 3:57 pmAre there wesnoth maps of real locations?
Eastern Europe at War has a good map of Eastern Europe. And I made a map of Morocco: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35053

I think there are a few other ones, but those are the ones I know best.