A Personal Appeal from Your Friendly Site Admin

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

A Personal Appeal from Your Friendly Site Admin

Post by Iris »

Hi all!

It’s been a while, certainly, and some of you might not know who I am or never really got the chance to meet me before I had to temporarily distance myself from the project for personal reasons a couple of years ago.

I have been a developer since 2007, and a player since 2005. I became release manager when version 1.12.1 was released, and stepped down shortly before version 1.13.3/1.13.4 (1.13.3 went unannounced and had to be replaced with 1.13.4). Before that, I was in charge of running the forums’ technical platform since February 2009, and in charge of leading the Forum Moderators team since August of the same year and until .

Needless to say, I have been around for a long time, and I have seen over a decade of Wesnoth’s evolution from multiple perspectives. I have seen the community around it grow, dwindle, and then grow again. I have seen developers, artists, musicians, and translators come and go. I have seen players create many wonderful things, some forgotten, some still around. I have seen the Crazy MP People and their shenanigans make the game an interesting experience with nary a dull day every week, every month.

What I am trying to get at here is that the Battle for Wesnoth is more than just a game. It’s a whole ecosystem whose existence is sustained and perpetuated by the thoughtful efforts of all who’ve played it, and even some who haven’t or don’t anymore. Without the selfless labor of so many people around the world who have donated their energy, time, and even money to the project, none of us would be here today.

The release of version 1.13.13 (1.14 Release Candidate 2) is important in ways that aren’t necessarily evident to the casual observer. As the deadline for version 1.14.0 approaches, so does the Battle for Wesnoth Project’s foray into one of the largest software distribution platforms in the last decade: the Steam Store. It is the hope of the development team that things will go smoothly once the 1.14.0 gold is published and made available to the masses. Should important issues come up, the release team will make sure to fast-track version 1.14.1 to address them as soon as possible.

In order to ensure Wesnoth’s success however, we need everyone’s help. The translation teams need to work on getting as close to 100% coverage as possible before 1.14.0, the developers need to work on fixing bugs as they are reported, and you, our loyal and faithful players and content creators, need to playtest every aspect of the game (both single and multiplayer), and report back to us with any bugs you encounter. And content creators in particular need to make sure their add-ons are tested and ported to the 1.14 add-ons server in a timely fashion to show just how diverse and rich the UMC experience is, and the great replay value it adds to the game. All in all, it’s impossible to overstate just how important players are for the game’s development process. Do also bear in mind that almost all of our developers, artists, musicians, translators, and site admins were merely players reporting bugs and giving us other forms of feedback at some point.

So, if you want to make this the best version of Wesnoth released yet, it’s up to you to go forth and help us. It is not a small undertaking by any means, but we need you. It is you who make Wesnoth possible, and it is you who shape its future with your feedback and contributions.

Sincerely,
The Battle for Wesnoth Project
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
howwitty

Re: A Personal Appeal from Your Friendly Site Admin

Post by howwitty »

Well I didn't foresee any issues with single player campaigns, but I'll check it out.
I'm tired.
Aghanim

Post by Aghanim »

Hell yeah ! :D
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Even the single-player campaigns need players. Not many people are testing 1.13.13 yet, and even a single-line typo can break a scenario.
brass_harpooner

Post by brass_harpooner »

I've just finished playing An Orcish Intrusion in 1.13.13. No signs of any bugs (though I hadn't played it in 1.12).

I've also ported the campaign I've been working on to 1.13.13. The only thing I stumbled on was that the _server.pbl file requires a valid icon in 1.13.13 (it didn't in 1.12).

So when 1.14 comes out will 1.13 be considered the new stable version for download?
adramolokh

Post by adramolokh »

brass_harpooner wrote: April 9th, 2018, 10:26 am I've just finished playing An Orcish Intrusion in 1.13.13. No signs of any bugs (though I hadn't played it in 1.12).

I've also ported the campaign I've been working on to 1.13.13. The only thing I stumbled on was that the _server.pbl file requires a valid icon in 1.13.13 (it didn't in 1.12).

So when 1.14 comes out will 1.13 be considered the new stable version for download?
No. 1.13 gets discontinued, the 1.14 release (a bugfixed version of the later 1.13 release candidates) becomes the stable version, and 1.15 becomes the development edition. I suspect that 1.15 won't be out for sometime, however, given that there seems to be a major reworking of the graphics framework.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great appeal! It will certainly be an important moment when Wesnoth 1.14 is released to steam. This is definitely a special game and a special community.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:|
Best of luck in your undertakings
I am sure you can get things together for steam if that is what you want.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
krekling

Post by krekling »

For what it's worth, I've played through the whole Secrets of the Ancients except the last scenario on 1.13.8, and I didn't experience any issues.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Computer_player checking in; will get on the development version once this semester is over. Can we have a review / link on the timeline for 1.14 again?

Edit: Uh.. huh. So it seems 1.14 is literally out at this very moment. I'm leaving this up coz its funny.