True math RNG... proved! :)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BadHatHarry

True math RNG... proved! :)

Post by BadHatHarry »

Just watched MP game. I could not see poor orcs there - they could not do almost any damage continuosly!

8 turns, 100 HP overall won't inflicted!

Tell me now, that this is mathematically OK and all is good with RNG generator...
Attachments
2p_—_Thousand_Stings_Gar..._replay.gz
(23.15 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
8turn_100hp.png
8turn_100hp.png (69.95 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
Elder2

Re: True math RNG... proved! :)

Post by Elder2 »

This is mathematically OK and all is good with RNG generator.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Damned Lady Luck! You should have bought a lottery ticket instead of playing Wesnoth, you could have won $20.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I see nothing wrong here :-)
Think of it this way, the chances of you being struck by lightning is almost zero, but every year thousands of people are killed by lightning strikes.
Compared to that, 100 Hp damage not being inflicted is nothing :D
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
BadHatHarry

Post by BadHatHarry »

Main word was 'continuosly'.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

It would prove that the RNG is bad if this didn’t show up once in a while. Truly random things are predictable in the long run, and in the long run there is a high probability of getting runs like this.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Whenever people post things like this I am reminded of this comic.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BadHatHarry

Post by BadHatHarry »

Okay, let's go to think about it from another side. Imagine that you play as these poor orcs. Intresting gameplay? Want more? Masochist?

As for me - I dont like such games. And it does not matter from which side I am: extra long unluck (rage) or extra luck (lose interest).

I mean if such RNG is possible, okay, no problem. But why suffer only one player? Let's help him and if he was unlucked in one place, immediatly get him luck in another. Go to hell all these math 'long runs'! Ofc with RNG again, but with some modificator that greatly increase his chance to back his luck. And opposite with extra luck - was lucky at one attack? Be ready to miss at another with much more great chance that 'all possibly' math said.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Your problem is revealed in your language. There is no such thing as luck. You are seeing the whole thing as one event; It is actually a series of events. Let's use mages as an example. 3 attacks at 70% is just that: three separate attacks, not one attack. I used to play a variant of Settlers of Catan online, & I would often see ridiculous comment like "sixes aren't being rolled". In probability the past doesn't exist. Whether the mage misses the first attack or hits, is irrelevant to the 70% probability of a hit on the second attack. Some times a white mage will miss four times in a row. People obsess about that, without considering all the times the white mage hit four times in a row. You can not look at such a small sample, & contend that it's representative. I'm not sure of what you are trying to prove, except that you didn't study math in college.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

If I had a drone for every thread complaining about RNG I'd have better security than the Chaos Empire :P :whistle:
BadHatHarry wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 11:33 pm I mean if such RNG is possible, okay, no problem. But why suffer only one player? Let's help him and if he was unlucked in one place, immediatly get him luck in another. Go to hell all these math 'long runs'! Ofc with RNG again, but with some modificator that greatly increase his chance to back his luck. And opposite with extra luck - was lucky at one attack? Be ready to miss at another with much more great chance that 'all possibly' math said.
The above system would be really exploitable, for example if I knew that I was "owed" some luck I'd put it to use by making an important attack, such as charging with a horseman or going for the enemy leader. Conversely if I had just hit a bunch and knew I was now going to miss more often, I'd either just retreat or start off by making attacks that don't matter as much.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

dfdfdf.jpg
dfdfdf.jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
Happens xD