Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

Post by MathBrush »

I recently looked over Wings of Victory with an eye to help finish it.

I don’t think it should be finished. I think it is unfinished for a reason. I’m a text adventure critic, and I’ve reviewed over 1500 text adventures, and many of them suffer from the same problem as Wings of Victory: cool ideas that don’t translate to fun gameplay.

For instance; the first level has you flying over th ocean with a herd of Drakes. Cool idea, right? But it’s so tedious herding and organizing them.

And finishing it would be much harder than a new campaign. I think it’s unfinished because the ideas are ones that are hard to bring to fruition.

Skeptical_troll’s description of the Dunefolk shows me that if enough people work on something, someone will come up with a great solution.

I’m going to heavily revise my campaign, a fiery birth, to make it fit into mainline standards as far as possible, and I challenge everyone who’s interested to try to make a mainline-worthy drake campaign, too. I think that given enough people trying, we could get something great done this year.

But I think wings of victory should be no longer considered as the one to wait on.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

Post by Pentarctagon »

I believe Kwandulin's Ashen Hearts campaign is being considered for inclusion once development on 1.15 starts.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

That would be great! Kwandulin does really good work.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

For instance; the first level has you flying over th ocean with a herd of Drakes. Cool idea, right? But it’s so tedious herding and organizing them.
Can't you just get that part automatised?
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Part of it is autonized, and it scrolls the whole screen back and forth as the 7 drakes fly around.

A lot of the maps are really big.

I think that there’s a reason so many people tried to fix it/finish it and failed. I think it would need complete redoing.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

When I finally upgraded to 1.12 last year I downloaded many, many campaigns in one night when I could hog all the WiFi for myself. Maybe you could just have the drakes start at the intended place. I suppose I'll have to dig it up.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Personally, I think SkyOne's Brave Wings is a potentially better candidate at being mainlined. It's rather sad to see Wings of Victory getting abandoned like this :( . Ashen Hearts is good. Played it. Would like to see it added to the core campaign package.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

I'm interested in seeing a drake campaign mainlined. I'm currently reviewing all the drake campaigns on the 1.10 through 1.13/14 servers.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

I would like to see Brave Winds in mainline too. It is possible to make a voting in order to select a new official campaign?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

GreatGeneral wrote: May 5th, 2018, 10:01 pm I would like to see Brave Winds in mainline too. It is possible to make a voting in order to select a new official campaign?
The campaign mainlining process has never been carried out that way. There's more to consider than just popular acclaim. It's possible I may want to run a poll of some sort, but it's not going to be a primary factor in how I decide to invest my time.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.