Make Knalgan Alliance Great (Again,,, or rather for the first time ever)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mjh

Make Knalgan Alliance Great (Again,,, or rather for the first time ever)

Post by Mjh »

I think most of the more experienced players would agree that getting Knalgan Alliance in a ladder game in most cases is kind of getting the short end of the stick. I am far from being the best player, but when I get Knalgans I am 99% sure I'll lose, and usually I do. I guess better players have better results with them, but I doubt anyone would say they are the best faction to get.

So there are a lot of smart people here, creating maps, random map packs, etc. How about creating a "new era"? Everything would be the same as in the normal, only Knalgan Alliance would get some improvements. Many good players could work together making Knalgans a little better, but not overpowered, then create an era (something like "normal + improved Knalgans"), and use it, even in Ladder, if both player agrees to.

In my opinion Dwarvish Ulfserker, Footpad, Thief and Gryphon Rider are fine, aren't the best units ever, but they fulfill their roles.

Dwarvish Fighter, Dwarvish Thunderer, Dwarvish Guardsman are usually a bad choice only because they have only 4 movement points.

In my opinion all dwarf units could have 5 movement speed by default, and to make up for it:
1) They could only have one trait, because they are all Quick by default. I don't know if it is possible to do so, since all lv1+ creatures that has traits, has 2, or wouldn't be make them too strong just to get a default Quick trait.
2) They wouldn't have any traits, like Skeletons (by lore, because they are dumb, obscurantist or something). This way they would be useable, because having 5 movement points, but they couldn't ever get to 6, since they are dwarves. Because they get significantly more useful with more movement points, to trade for this, they couldn't have the +1 dmg, more hp, etc. Maybe fine tune the stats as well: lose some hp for the default Quick trait, etc.

In my opinion Poacher is kind of the weakest unit in the game:
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/mainline ... acher.html
With 3 - 2 melee (blade) 4 - 4 ranged (pierce) it is strictly weaker than the already not so good Bowman with 4 - 2 melee (blade) 6 - 3 ranged (pierce).
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/mainline ... owman.html
Yes, it needs 10 less xp to level up and also has 50% def in Swamp and 60% in Forest, but still without dealing enough damage, it is hard to win the game.
It is a kinda weak, situational unit to counter horses. Maybe it could have 5 - 2 melee (blade) 4 - 4 ranged (pierce), so at least it is an all-rounder, that kinda can fight both melee and ranged, but still is a lackluster in both. Maybe just give them Dextrous as a possible trait.

One more thing: What is the deal with the Thug?
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/mainline/en_US/Thug.html
I remember playing them in the campaign in the old days, but they aren't present in any faction. Are they too strong or something? Or it is just with them as a reasonably cost-efficient unit that doesn't have 4 movement points, players could completely forget about Dwarves in the Knalgan Alliance?

Anyway theese are only suggestions, I belive some pro players together could make Knalgan Alliance a more rewarding to play faction without crossing the line.
Elder2

Re: Make Knalgan Alliance Great (Again,,, or rather for the first time ever)

Post by Elder2 »

Ehm, not really related to the topic but I thought that this replay would be fitting.
Attachments
20161110220254_Solymos-HUN_vs_ElderofZion_wesnoth-ladder.gz
(39.04 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Mjh

Post by Mjh »

But there is no Global warming, it is cold in the winter.
I didn't say Dwarves haven't won a single game ever.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Well, I am not trying to prove a point, I am referencing the title xD

A relevant answer would need to be quite long and and honestly I don't really feel like going into balance arguments now.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I Find Knagla extrmely verstile and good as a faction, actually, it's like having 2 factions, ever heard of Hodor tactics?
As for movement Dwarves are less slowed down than other units, so you may can move farther away (depending on terrain) with a Dwarf than let's say a Loyalist Spearman, cause Dwarves consume only 1 MP on many terrains like hills, mountains and even forests, and they can get quick trait, a Dwarf with 6 MP would be OP, considered they better mobility, resistances and defenses.
And these are only some of the reason that Knaglans are good, if they would be even more enpowered, what would say Undead players?
Plus beign slower fits well the Dwarven race, slow but strurdy, its a fantasy cliché.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟