Multiplayer Issue

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Althis

MP Issue Causing Game To Force Start

Post by Althis »

Hello,

My friend and I have been playing Wesnoth on and off for about 3 years. We recently decided to play again, and we downloaded some MP campaigns to try. One of them is called " Haunted Woods " and was a favorite of ours about a year or so ago. The issue we are having now (and this sometimes happens on other maps, but I can't remember which ones) is that the he joins my game, it will automatically start the map without me. If I join his, the same thing happens. Regardless of what we do, the game will start without the other person. What is going on here? Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Althis
Althis

Multiplayer Issue

Post by Althis »

Hey guys, my friend and I love the co op campaign called "Haunted Woods". For some reason, whenever we try to play, the game won't start for both of us. We always get DC'd into our own separate instances of the match. Whats going on?

EDIT: I don't know why the board decided to pull my post from a year ago, but it remains true. After a year, we decided to go back and try the map again and it still fails.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Multiplayer Issue

Post by Pentarctagon »

The thread for that add-on is here. I don't know if this is a bug with 1.12 or with the add-on, but the add-on looks like it's abandoned - it hasn't been updated for just over 3 years, and the author hasn't visited the forums in about that long.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Althis

Post by Althis »

Thanks for the note, I didn't know that thread existed.

So: if I download the campaign on a new version of the game, then download the matching version of Wesnoth, how could I temporarily set up an online multiplayer match?

Alternatively, is there a way for me to update the map so that it works on the current version?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If you're on 1.12 and using the most recent version of the add-on, and you're still getting this problem, then I'm not really sure. You could perhaps try giving yourself control of two sides, have him join as an observer after the scenario loads, and then give him control of a side at that point.

If you want to try to fix it yourself, you can find all add-ons you've downloaded in your userdata directory, and can edit the code with any text editor(such as notepad++). There's then the wiki you can use which has a lot of information, as well as the WML Workshop forum if you have questions.
Althis

Post by Althis »

I will check and see if your fix works. I haven't tried that yet, as I didn't know it was an option. Generally, it just pushes us into separate instances of the campaign.

I would fix it if I knew what was the issue to begin with! I don't know if there is a way to "update" the campaign to the latest version. I will follow your wiki link and see if I can find anything. Thanks for your help.
Althis

Post by Althis »

NOTE: I tried again. I start the multiplayer session, and when I try to join in with a different computer, the new computer automatically goes into the map. The host sees the player as being "in", but can not start the session.

<server> ignoring illegal whiteboard data, sent from user 'Althis' to team 'good',

It then says the game is out of sync.

Saving and reloading makes the game run! Ha! Well, it no longer says I am out of sync, so that is good. It works now and all I did was nothing.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Well, that's... strange. I'm glad to hear it's working though :lol:
Althis

Post by Althis »

To follow up: I did a quick search online and it seems that the whiteboard system was updated after this map. That may be the cause of this error. But oh well! Hahah!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yeah, the whiteboard feature was at one point so buggy that it was actually considered for removal. My understanding is that most of those issues were fixed in 1.13, along with quite a few issues with MP campaigns, but unfortunately few(if any) of those fixes were made to 1.12.