Confused by Survival maps and RPG eras

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cugel

Confused by Survival maps and RPG eras

Post by Cugel »

Hi, friends:

Could someone maybe explain Confused by Survival maps and RPG eras to me or point me to a page that explains them (but which I have been unable to find anywhere)? I have come across both types of add-ons and installed some, but can't seem to figure out how to play them.I

For example, can I somewhere/somehow recruit units on a survival map? (the Survivors Area for War of the Gods era that I am trying right now doesn't seem to have provisions for that)

In RPG eras, I always found that recruiting was disallowed, and I didn't find rumoured stores or such either, so all I can do is run around aimlessly with my one and only character and wait to be obliterated, it seems.

Obviously, I am clueless as how these add-ons are supposed to work. Any help would be appreciated. :-)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Confused by Survival maps and RPG eras

Post by Ravana »

RPG era is designed to prevent recruiting, so that scenario does not need to worry about making sure map has no keeps. It might also have specific balance changes for rpg.

Havent heard of Confused by Survival maps.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Normally Wesnoth players have one Leader unit which can recruits other units of his/her faction.
In RPG you often have just a single unit, and usually those can't recruit other units.

Survival is a mode of gameplay where the player faces waves of incoming enemy, they may be played as normal Wesnoth or as RPGs.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on September 26th, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
shrieker1

Post by shrieker1 »

Cugel wrote:In RPG eras, I always found that recruiting was disallowed, and I didn't find rumoured stores or such either, so all I can do is run around aimlessly with my one and only character and wait to be obliterated, it seems.
It depends on RPG era and scenario. For example SXC and SXRPG addons have shops only available using right click menu. They are supposed to be played on scenarios coming in the addon. Then there is Bob's RPG era where shops aren't available in begin but you have character upgrade point system available from begin. But in any RPG era they often don't provide any game play in era side. You would need a scenario to provide RPG game play features.