[Solved] How can I prevent identical random factions?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hi, friends.

I like to play random maps against the AI. (Multiplayer-->Local Game-->Computer opponents)

Sadly, if I haven't forgotten about a rare exception, I always get opponents from the same faction I am playing, sometimes not just one but 2 or 3 (out of 5 opponents). That really hampers and curbs the rock-paper-scissor fun of playing faction-specific strategies.

I suppose, I'll have to manually choose my opponent factions from now on to prevent this, but it would be nicer if there were a way to let oneself be surprised by randomly picked opponents that exclude the same faction.

Is there a hidden preference or add-on for this, maybe?

Thanks, friends.
Last edited by Cugel on September 12th, 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: How can I prevent identical random factions?

Post by gfgtdf »

wesnoth 1.13 has an option for this in the mp create screen.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

In 1.13 there is No Mirror option at mp create screen for preventing randoming the same side.
There was an addon for 1.12 also, ive forget what it was called.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

There is a "Random No Mirror" add-on for 1.12, although I don't know anything about it, and also a "MirrorMate" add-on which simply tells you immediately whether it's a mirror match or not. In 1.13/1.14 there will be a built-in option to prevent mirror matches.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

One of the 1.12 mirror addons is broken, it keeps original variables and status of unit.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Thanks, guys. So, when I get an upgrade some day, I'll have that option. :-) (I'm on Linux with v. 1.10.7)

In the meantime, I have begun picking my opponent factions manually. It isn't perfect but much better than running into myself all the time. ;-)