how to open replay old files

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michaelbr

how to open replay old files

Post by michaelbr »

I'm running Wesnoth 1.12.6 on Windows 10, I've noticed my replay files has a gz file type, in the forum there are some old posting with replays in zip file, after unpacking, the files has no file type, I've tried to open both (zip and unpacked file), but always got an error saying File corrupt or something, how do I open those old replay files?
Thanks for your comment/suggestion.
Michael
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: how to open replay old files

Post by Pentarctagon »

What are you using to try to open it? Once you extract the save, it's just a plain text file.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

I'm using Wesnoth app, as soon as you open it, there's a load game button at the right hand side, and I use it to load replay file. All my replay files (the one I saved and the ones saved by the app are found there) are kept under Saves folder under userdata.
Michael
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That text includes wesnoth version it is supposed to work with.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If these saves are from other versions of Wesnoth, then that would almost certainly be the problem. Saves should work between versions of the same stable branch (1.12.0, 1.12.1, etc), but moving between major versions (opening a save from 1.10 in 1.12, for example) will very likely not work.

Also, moved to the Users' Forum, as this isn't really a question about strategy.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Thanks to both for replying, that's the problem, it's different version (1.1.7).
Michael
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nothing from versions older than 1.9.x (and even that is just a hypothetical) is going to work with 1.12.x. Versions older than 1.3.10 don’t even use the same map format Wesnoth uses now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

shadowm wrote:Nothing from versions older than 1.9.x (and even that is just a hypothetical) is going to work with 1.12.x. Versions older than 1.3.10 don’t even use the same map format Wesnoth uses now.
Thanks for your update and explanation.
Michael
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Somewhere in the deepest and darkest and spiderwebbiest part of my attic, i conserve an ancient Linux Laptop with Battle For Wesnoth 0.9.0 installed on it. If you like, i can send it to your house. ;)
The old graphics are real fun to see. It doesn't have "Isar's Cross" Map yet, but it has "Heir To The Throne" Campaign. And "Wesbowl" Map, which resembles a game of Rugby/American Football (yes, the orcs and elves really have a ball in there).
I like beavers.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Zap-Zarap wrote:Somewhere in the deepest and darkest and spiderwebbiest part of my attic, i conserve an ancient Linux Laptop with Battle For Wesnoth 0.9.0 installed on it. If you like, i can send it to your house. ;)
The old graphics are real fun to see. It doesn't have "Isar's Cross" Map yet, but it has "Heir To The Throne" Campaign. And "Wesbowl" Map, which resembles a game of Rugby/American Football (yes, the orcs and elves really have a ball in there).
In an attic? Are you sure it's still working? I'd love to get it and to see how the old games looks like, but I live in Spain now :lol:
Michael
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Sí, todavía esta funcionando. Lo mínimo que puedo hacer por tí, es mandarte unas capturas de pantalla algún dia. Si estas viviendo en el Norte de la Península, existe una posibilidád muy pequeña, de que pasaré por tu región el año que viene. Entonces te lo llevaría.

Yes, it is still working. The least i can do for you, is to send you some screenshots one day. If you are living in the North of the Peninsula, there exists a very tiny chance, that i'll pass by your region next year. I'd bring it to you, then. :)
I like beavers.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

yes, I often wanted to watch some old replays, but often they are not compatible with newer versions of BFW.
Someone should create a mini rogram made just to play Wesnoth replays, an application compatible with all the various versions of the game, would be cool, but would it be feasable ?
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yomar wrote:yes, I often wanted to watch some old replays, but often they are not compatible with newer versions of BFW.
Someone should create a mini rogram made just to play Wesnoth replays, an application compatible with all the various versions of the game, would be cool, but would it be feasable ?
I doubt it, honestly. There hasn't been much, if any, effort to keep things compatible between branches(or even between different versions of the development branch), so anything other than a sort of wrapper application around all the different versions of Wesnoth that you can choose from would be a enormous undertaking.

Also, shadowm did write a few blog posts about the first versions of Wesnoth, if anyone is interested.
michaelbr

Post by michaelbr »

Zap-Zarap wrote:Sí, todavía esta funcionando. Lo mínimo que puedo hacer por tí, es mandarte unas capturas de pantalla algún dia. Si estas viviendo en el Norte de la Península, existe una posibilidád muy pequeña, de que pasaré por tu región el año que viene. Entonces te lo llevaría.

Yes, it is still working. The least i can do for you, is to send you some screenshots one day. If you are living in the North of the Peninsula, there exists a very tiny chance, that i'll pass by your region next year. I'd bring it to you, then. :)
@Zap-Zarap, thanks, I was just joking, I live in the south of Peninsula, in Valencia actually, still learning Spanish, it's not that fluent. :oops:
Michael
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Why not just install the old version(s) of Wesnoth?

I currently have Windows 10 - it seems to still run old versions of the game:
Battle for Wesnoth 0.9.7 on Windows 10
Battle for Wesnoth 0.9.7 on Windows 10