how to open replay old files

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michaelbr

Re: how to open replay old files

Post by michaelbr »

gnombat wrote:Why not just install the old version(s) of Wesnoth?

I currently have Windows 10 - it seems to still run old versions of the game:
That's an interesting idea, is there any advantage in using old version beside being able to load old replays? I'm just starting, so I can use either.
Thanks for your comment/suggestion.
Michael
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

michaelbr wrote:That's an interesting idea, is there any advantage in using old version beside being able to load old replays? I'm just starting, so I can use either.
Personally I like to keep old versions of Wesnoth around because there were some good add-ons from older versions that have not been ported to newer versions.

Some people like other features found in older versions such as the old music tracks.

It should be noted that old versions of Wesnoth are no longer maintained and may contain security vulnerabilities, so you should be cautious about the possibility of playing malicious add-ons or replays with old versions of Wesnoth. I would guess that any add-ons or replays that were posted to the Wesnoth forums or add-on server years ago are unlikely to be malicious (if they were, someone would have probably noticed that by now). But you should be wary if, for example, some dubious stranger sends you a file which for some reason requires a 10-year-old version of Wesnoth to read. :twisted:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

michaelbr wrote:I'm just starting, so I can use either.
Actually, you should be able to use both. I've had three versions installed at once with no trouble--mainly for being able to watch old replays. I would recommend playing the newest version though. BfW has improved a lot since 1.1.7. That was something like ten years ago!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide